Friday, March 30, 2007
News staff writer
February 28, 2007
Both the Hood River Middle School and Wy’east Middle School wrestling teams were in action last week, and both had some impressive performances.
The HRMS Panther wrestlers lost to Alice Ott 72-46 but surrendered 66 points in forfeits, on the mat they won 46-6.
The Sixth graders gave the team several key matches, including 75-pounder Max Kozec wrestling sick and overcoming a 5-0 deficit to get a pin on his opponent. David Brunk wrestled up two weight classes and pinned his opponent.
Alec Wiltz was nearly pinned and came back for the pin in the third round. Ramon Ramirez, one foot shorter and nearly ten pounds lighter than his opponent came back from a 15-1 deficit to pin his opponent with 15 seconds left in the match.
Seventh graders Ramon Romero and Gilberto Acevedo won by pins and Katie Eddy beat her opponent 14-2.
Eighth graders Woody Johnson and Bryce Carrier had pins and John Gonzalez started the evening with a pin at 125 pounds and finished by pinning Alice Ott’s previously undefeated 130-pound wrestler.
Meanwhile, the Wy’east wrestlers came back from four days off to wrestle back to back matches Wednesday and Thursday.
In Wednesday’s home match Wy’east won 9 out of 6 varsity matches against Reynolds Middle School.
On Thursday at a tough Parkrose Middle School match the Eagles won 6 matches and lost 6. Two exceptionally tough matches were won by David DeHart and Taylor Sanders.
Also posting wins from Wy’east against Parkrose were: Jordy Mallon, Poncho Castro, Brett Hooper, Seth Fults, Sebastian Marquez, Collum Brock and Wesley Zapien.
More like this story
- Gratitude goes out for acts of help and hospitality
- Hood River Elks Lodge makes donation to Meals on Wheels
- Police Log, Sept. 28 to Oct. 4
- Public Records, Building Permits, County, September 2015
- Upset! HRV takes down The Dalles, clinches first play-in spot since 2012
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 10
- Quick start propels HRV girls soccer to victory over Hermiston
- Water polo teams poised to make runs at the state title
- Port begins lower Hanel mill ground work
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 10
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge