Friday, March 30, 2007
By BEN MCCARTY
News staff writer
February 7, 2007
The Hood River Valley High School wrestling team closed out the season on a winning note, finishing the Hood River Valley Invitational with a 2-1 record, beating Rex Putnam and Lake Oswego and falling to 5A powerhouse Madras.
Alex Titus finished the day with a 3-0 record, pinning all three of his opponents.
Gage Morris also finished with a 3-0 record and Luke Schwartzel went 2-0, as did Tanner Weatherill.
Sean Baker went 2-1 at 135 pounds, and took Madras’ C. Rosenfield to three overtimes before falling 6-5.
The Eagles defeated Rex Putnam 68-18, with Titus leading with a 37-second first round pin. Morris earned a major decision, 11-1 win, while Bill Hunter, Justin Tolentino and Luke Schwartzel all earned wins with pins.
The Eagles also defeated Lake Oswego 68-18, with Titus earning a 19 second pin in the first round.
Weatherill, Ben Eddy, Hunter, Aaron Mallon and Tolentino all earned wins by pin as the Eagles dominated Lake Oswego from start to finish.
However, the Eagles had the tables turned against Madras when it was the White Buffalos putting on a dominating performance through most of the middle weight classes.
Gage Morris won a 15-0 Technical fall at 119 pounds and Weatherill won by fall 29 seconds into the first round at 130 pounds, but the Eagles then lost six straight matches before Schwartzel and Titus won two of the last three with pins.
On Monday, freshman HRVHS wrestlers competed in the MHC freshman district wrestling championships, and the Eagles took second place overall.
Obi Schwartzel took third place at 112 pounds, Catherine Kiyokawa took fourth place at 125 pounds, Thomas Eddy won the 125-pound class, Lambeto Flores finished fourth at 125 pounds, Hector Marquex finished fifth at 130 pounds, Mark Salazar won the 135-pound class, Taren Bennett won the 140-pound class, Alberto Garcia placed fourth at 145 pounds, Marquel Neal placed third at 152 pounds, and Dylan Edwards finished second at 285 pounds.
The Eagles will now focus on preparing for Districts this weekend at David Douglas after finishing the season with several wrestlers in the top-20 in their classifications and as the state’s No. 19 ranked 6A tournament team.
More like this story
- Death notices for Aug. 31: Robert Stratton and Dale Glasgow
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge