Friday, March 30, 2007
News staff writer
February 3, 2007
The HRVHS wrestlers dropped the final Mount Hood Conference dual meet of the season 45-15 at Barlow Thursday night.
“We wrestled a lot of new people on varsity and are preparing for next week’s district tournament,” Assistant Coach Trent Kroll said.
The Eagles won five matches, but none of them came on pins, which would have gotten the team more points.
Alex Titus won at 285 pounds, Luke Schwartzel won at 189 pounds, Ben Eddy won at 140 pounds, Sean Baker won at 130 pounds and Gage Morris won at 119 pounds.
The loss dropped the Eagles to 3-3 in conference dual meets and left them in fourth place heading into next weekend’s district tournament.
Also taking to the mat for the Eagles on Thursday were Obie Schwartzel, who lost by major decision at 112 pounds, Thomas Eddy, who lost by decision at 125 pounds, Salome Castillo, who lost by fall at 135 pounds, Aaron Mallon, who lost by decision at 145 pounds, Marquel Neal, who lost by fall at 152 pounds, Nic Delgado, who lost by fall at 171 pounds and Cameron Kiyokawa, who lost by major decision at 215 pounds.
Heading into the district meet, the Eagles currently have several wrestlers ranked in the Top 20 in their 6A weight classifications.
Titus is the top-ranked HRV wrestler at No. 8 in the 285-pound level, Julio Avila is ranked ranked No. 12 at 125 pounds, Ben Eddy is ranked No. 11 at 140 pounds, Justin Tolentino is ranked No. 16 at 160 pounds, Joe Johnson is ranked No. 10 at 171 pounds, Lucas Mondragon is ranked No. 18 at 189 pounds, and Cameron Kiyokawa is ranked No. 10 at 215 pounds.
The district championships will be at David Douglas High School Feb. 9-10.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge