Friday, March 30, 2007
By BEN MCCARTY
News staff writer
February 14, 2007
The Hood River Valley High School wrestling team closed out its season with a strong performance at the Mount Hood Conference District playoffs that landed seven wrestlers state playoff berths.
Sean Baker, Ben Eddy, Aaron Mallon, Lucas Mondragon, Luke Schwartzel, Cory Miller and Alex Titus all wrestled well enough to earn state births, with Baker finishing second at 130 pounds, Eddy winning the 140-pound category, Mallon finishing third at 145 pounds, Mondragon finishing second at 189 pounds, Schwartzel finishing third at 189 pounds, Miller taking second at 215 pounds and Titus winning the heavyweight division.
Also placing at districts for the Eagles were Gage Morris with fifth place at 119 pounds, Julio Avila at 125 pounds, Tanner Weatherill with a fifth-place finish at 130 pounds and Justin Tolentino with a sixth-place finish at 160 pounds.
Overall, the Eagles has 12 of their 23 qualifying wrestlers place at districts.
The seven wrestlers qualifying for state will take to the mats this weekend at the 6A state championships held at The Pavillion at the Oregon State Fairgrounds beginning Thursday in Salem.
The Eagles finish the season with a17-9 dual meet record, with a 3-3 record in league.
In addition to winning the heavyweight classification and qualifying for State, Titus also received the George Meyer award, given to the Mount HoodConference senior wrestler who best exemplifies overcoming adversity, positive commitment, and dedication to the program.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for June 21
- Another Voice: New legislation is win-win for community college students
- Fight leads to reported stabbing in Cascade Locks
- Former Hood River resident dies in wreck on I-84
- Columbia sturgeon season returns
- High Prairie Firehouse Sale back this weekend
- Roots and Branches: High energy children and the belief to succeed
- Entertainment Update for June 21
- Loretta and Patsy: Together Again
- Sports briefs for June 21
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge