Saturday, March 31, 2007
By BEN MCCARTY
News staff writer
March 3, 2007
Several Hood River Valley High School sports teams received high academic honors on the Dairy Farmers of Oregon Academic All-State team.
HRVHS boys’ swimmers had the highest combined GPA among their 6A wrestling counterparts with a cumulative 3.72.
The Eagles wrestling team also had the highest GPA among 6A teams, tying with Tigard with a 3.46.
Girls’ basketball tied for fourth with Newberg with a GPA of 3.71.
Girls’ swimmers were fifth among 6A girls’ swimmers with a GPA of 3.68 while the HRVHS boys’ basketball team had the ninth highest GPA among 6A teams with a 3.41.
Phoenix High School girls’ swimming team had the highest GPA of any high school sports team in the state for the winter season, with a combined team GPA of 3.92.
“It’s a great thing,” Hood River Valley Athletic Director Brent Walsh said. “We pride ourselves on being students first and athletes second.”
Academic achievements for Hood River Valley High School student-athletes also include a 3.75 GPA by the boys’ cross country team in the fall.
Walsh said that less travel time from being in a conference with closer schools has allowed students to spend more time in the classroom.
“You also have to give a lot of credit to the teachers and parents,” he said. “We’re very proud of our kids.”
More like this story
- Peace Walk: Take steps for a ‘safe future’ on Wednesday
- ‘We Love You to China and Back’: Community rallies for local family on July 31
- Mosier groundwater contaminated after derailment spill
- Stage set for new waterfront buildings
- Hood River Farmers’ Market offers local produce, more
- July 23 Stoked anniversary bash helps LymeLight
- Paving closes exit 62
- Foster parent recruitment meeting July 25 in TD
- Gaulke Dental joins Hood River Dental
- Rand Road water line
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge