Friday, April 8, 2011
Soups, sandwiches, salads and pastries, all with a French twist, can be found at The Market Gourmet (The Tart Lady), run by Monica Halici and her husband, Greg. Familiar faces at local outdoor markets and Portland Saturday Market, the Halicis set up shop in their cozy two-room café in November 2010. They share the baking duties: sweet and savory tarts using fruits, vegetables and other ingredients that they hand-pick from local and regional growers, including Cody Orchards, and their own breads and those from baker Lou Gehrig of Odell. Gourmet sandwiches and soup lunches ($5 to $8) include Tuscan white bean soup and "The Pullman": French ham, Havarti cheese, tomato and handmade dill dressing.
More like this story
- Lorang Fine Art open house will be Oct. 4
- Body of missing paddle boarder found in Columbia River
- Lummi Totem visits Hood River
- Living with Smoke
- Toward a healthier HRV: Health Center serves students this fall
- CL Port hosts Aug. 29 Bridge of the Gods walk
- Lost hiker, 75, found safe at Laurance Lake
- Brian Stenberg returns to his roots as Horizon’s new A.D.
- In its fifth running, Paddle Challenge is bigger than ever
- Cougar Creek fire creeps north
Helicopter searches for hiker
BLACKHAWK helicopter flies over Mt. Hood National Forest near Laurance Lake on Friday, Aug. 21. The military aircraft was called in to help police seek a missing hiker from The Dalles. Enlarge