Friday, April 8, 2011
Soups, sandwiches, salads and pastries, all with a French twist, can be found at The Market Gourmet (The Tart Lady), run by Monica Halici and her husband, Greg. Familiar faces at local outdoor markets and Portland Saturday Market, the Halicis set up shop in their cozy two-room café in November 2010. They share the baking duties: sweet and savory tarts using fruits, vegetables and other ingredients that they hand-pick from local and regional growers, including Cody Orchards, and their own breads and those from baker Lou Gehrig of Odell. Gourmet sandwiches and soup lunches ($5 to $8) include Tuscan white bean soup and "The Pullman": French ham, Havarti cheese, tomato and handmade dill dressing.
More like this story
- Gorge quilters featured in area shows this summer and fall
- Entertainment Update for July 30
- ‘American Pickers’ seeks local troves
- Richard Tillinghast concert at library Aug 10
- Gorge Soup art grant applications due Aug. 20
- Elections 2016: Gudman talks state treasurer bid during Hood River visit
- Ways of the Wind: July weather a windfall
- ‘Officer Friendly’ Sergeant Jesse Flem retires after 30 years
- Summer construction closes roads in Mount Hood National Forest
- Chief Wells resigns from Fire Dept.
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge