Monday, April 18, 2011
Oregon State Police troopers are continuing the investigation into Saturday afternoon's two-vehicle head-on crash on Highway 35 south of Mt. Hood Meadows that resulted in nine people being injured.
According to Sergeant Pat Shortt, on April 9 at approximately 4:34 p.m. a 2001 Jeep Wrangler driven by Drew A. Smith, 22, from University Place, Wash., was southbound on Highway 35 near milepost 62 when it attempted to pass a commercial truck and semi-trailer just before the beginning of a blind curve on the two-lane highway.
As the Jeep was alongside the truck and trailer, the Jeep collided head-on with a northbound 2004 Chevrolet Suburban driven by Scott Veenis, 26, from Park City, Utah. The vehicles came to rest blocking the highway for over two hours.
The Suburban contained a total of seven occupants. Veenis and passenger James H. Shipman, 15, from Salt Lake City, Utah, were transported by LifeFlight to Oregon Health and Science University and Legacy Emanuel Medical Center with serious injuries.
The other five occupants in the Suburban, ages 15 to 18, were transported by ground ambulance to Providence Hood River Memorial Hospital where they were treated and released. Safety restraint use by all of these occupants is pending further investigation.
Smith and his passenger, Evan Smith, 16, were transported by ground ambulance to Providence Hood River. Drew Smith was treated and released. Evan Smith was being treated in intensive care. Both were using safety restraints.
OSP troopers from The Dalles Area Command office are continuing the investigation. OSP Government Camp, Hood River County Sheriff's Office, Parkdale Fire and Ambulance and ODOT assisted at the scene.
More like this story
- Gratitude goes out for acts of help and hospitality
- Hood River Elks Lodge makes donation to Meals on Wheels
- Police Log, Sept. 28 to Oct. 4
- Public Records, Building Permits, County, September 2015
- Upset! HRV takes down The Dalles, clinches first play-in spot since 2012
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 10
- Quick start propels HRV girls soccer to victory over Hermiston
- Water polo teams poised to make runs at the state title
- Port begins lower Hanel mill ground work
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 10
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge