Monday, April 18, 2011
While all the recent rain couldn't keep the Horizon Christian baseball team down, it did keep them off their home field.
Despite the team's best efforts late last week, its home digs at Collins Fields were not ready to host what was supposed to be its first home games last Thursday and Saturday, so the Hawks went back on the road.
Against Culver at Kramer Field in The Dalles Thursday the Hawks won 3-2.
They moved a doubleheader from Hood River to White Salmon Saturday and beat Irrigon 12-1 and 6-5.
Against Culver, three Hawk pitchers combined to limit the Bulldogs to one hit over a five-inning contest.
Cody Bott went the first two innings, striking out five, and was followed by Mitch Engel for two innings and Weston Hobkirk for one.
Tanner Petitt led the Hawks at the plate going four-for-four including a fourth-inning home run, while Jordan Anderson had three hits and Mitch Engel two RBI.
In the first game against Irrigon, the Hawks rolled over the Knights.
Sam Anthony threw a five-inning no hitter, and struck out nine while also hitting a three-run home run.
Bott added a two-run home run and Mitch Engel and Pettit each had a double and two RBI.
In the second game, the Hawks won on a suicide squeeze in the bottom of the seventh by Engel to score Anthony.
The wins over Irrigon pushed the Hawks to 4-2 overall and 3-1 in 1A/2A special district 6 league play.
The Hawks home opener is now scheduled for a doubleheader against Pilot Rock April 23.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge