Saturday, April 23, 2011
Mildred Ruth Williams, 79, a longtime Hood River, Ore., resident, died April 18, 2011, at Avamere Retirement Center in Salem, Ore. Mildred was born Sept. 9, 1931, in Haskle, Texas, to Emil and Faye (Fultz) Decker.
A private graveside service will be held April 29 at Idlewilde Cemetery in Hood River. Arrangements are entrusted to Keizer Funeral Chapel. Online condolences may be made to www.keizerchapel.com. Memorials may be made to Willamette Valley Hospice or Hospice of the Gorge.
A full obituary will appear in the April 27 edition of the News.
More like this story
- Yesteryears: Horizon Christian ‘changing skyscape’ with new building in 2006
- Teen pleads not guilty to stabbing HR woman
- Hearings begin this week on Longview coal terminal
- White River campground closed
- EnviroGorge announces bird quiz
- Letters to the Editor for May 25
- Santa Cruz, Fetkenhour April ‘Students of the Month’
- Picard resigns from Hood River city council over STR issue
- Cascade Locks city council continuing with Nestlé plans despite passage of 14-55
- An early exit for HRV boys lax, but not a disappointment
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge