Friday, April 29, 2011
Three Hood River Valley High School speech and debate team members took third places at state competition at Western Oregon University April 21-23.
They are: Lydia Koerner in Radio and Jack Patterson and Ty Bofferding in Public Forum Debate
Joining them at state as third place alternates were Tanis Gonzaga, who at district took third place in prose and Murphy Jackson, who took third place in Impromptu.
Coach David Clarkson said, "This year has been very exciting. Both our graduating seniors have had their personal bests this year and are heading off to college with a ton of pride in their verbal skills.
"Equally exciting is the abundance of fresh talent developing among this years freshman and sophomores. All 13 freshman and sophomores showed tremendous growth over the course of 3-4 tournaments and they are eager to select new literary works and branch out into new events next year.
"Lastly, our team will host next year's District Tournament in April at HRVHS. At that time next year, we will be asking community members to help judge events."
The Speech and Debate team will have a dessert and awards banquet on May 5, at 6:30 p.m. in the high school commons.
Regina Rafelson, Kathryn Yasui and Haley Harkema helped Clarkson coach the team
More like this story
- UPDATE: Southeast Mt. Hood fire grows to 60 acres
- Service announcement for Oct. 10
- Death notices for Oct. 7
- HRV’s House: Henderson Community Stadium celebrates its 20th anniversary
- Gorge Soup adds ‘Visual Arts’ event
- Mosqueda, Weber wed in railside ceremony
- Helicopter photos: Graves, Krenz marry
- Clark, Engel marry in Pine Grove
- All you need is ... to come on the Magical History Tour
- Yesteryears: Lower valley apple harvest in full swing in 1945
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge