Friday, April 29, 2011
Three Hood River Valley High School speech and debate team members took third places at state competition at Western Oregon University April 21-23.
They are: Lydia Koerner in Radio and Jack Patterson and Ty Bofferding in Public Forum Debate
Joining them at state as third place alternates were Tanis Gonzaga, who at district took third place in prose and Murphy Jackson, who took third place in Impromptu.
Coach David Clarkson said, "This year has been very exciting. Both our graduating seniors have had their personal bests this year and are heading off to college with a ton of pride in their verbal skills.
"Equally exciting is the abundance of fresh talent developing among this years freshman and sophomores. All 13 freshman and sophomores showed tremendous growth over the course of 3-4 tournaments and they are eager to select new literary works and branch out into new events next year.
"Lastly, our team will host next year's District Tournament in April at HRVHS. At that time next year, we will be asking community members to help judge events."
The Speech and Debate team will have a dessert and awards banquet on May 5, at 6:30 p.m. in the high school commons.
Regina Rafelson, Kathryn Yasui and Haley Harkema helped Clarkson coach the team
More like this story
- YESTERYEARS: New Safeway store on Second and Cascade expected in 1947
- Pritchett, Haskins to wed
- Roots and Branches: Cherry Harvest
- Pick of the Week: Children’s Park public meeting July 20
- Travelogue: Panama
- Another Voice: Juntos program ‘critical to success of students in their education’
- Editor's Notebook: By George, one’s own name is a basic sweet spot in your sense of identity
- Letters to the Editor for July 19
- Another Voice: Preserve our agricultural heritage by making Tanner Ranch a park
- The comfort of quilts: Comfort Quilt Project underway at Providence Hood River Memorial Hospital
Peter Marbach hurries to save his tent from the wind
Peter Marbach comes to the rescue of his wind blown tent. Enlarge