Friday, April 29, 2011
Three Hood River Valley High School speech and debate team members took third places at state competition at Western Oregon University April 21-23.
They are: Lydia Koerner in Radio and Jack Patterson and Ty Bofferding in Public Forum Debate
Joining them at state as third place alternates were Tanis Gonzaga, who at district took third place in prose and Murphy Jackson, who took third place in Impromptu.
Coach David Clarkson said, "This year has been very exciting. Both our graduating seniors have had their personal bests this year and are heading off to college with a ton of pride in their verbal skills.
"Equally exciting is the abundance of fresh talent developing among this years freshman and sophomores. All 13 freshman and sophomores showed tremendous growth over the course of 3-4 tournaments and they are eager to select new literary works and branch out into new events next year.
"Lastly, our team will host next year's District Tournament in April at HRVHS. At that time next year, we will be asking community members to help judge events."
The Speech and Debate team will have a dessert and awards banquet on May 5, at 6:30 p.m. in the high school commons.
Regina Rafelson, Kathryn Yasui and Haley Harkema helped Clarkson coach the team
More like this story
- HRMS teacher studies in Germany
- Police Log, Aug. 17 to 23
- Sheriff Log, Aug. 14 to 24
- Soccer Assist: Kudos for thoughtful behind-scenes work
- Letters to the Editor for Aug. 29
- Editor's Notebook: Roanoke tragedy asks, ‘are we slaves to our technology?’
- Gorge Kids Tri adds music fest to lineup
- The Porch for Aug. 29
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 29
- Walmart sells 16.3 acres to Ryan’s Juice
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge