Friday, April 29, 2011
Three Hood River Valley High School speech and debate team members took third places at state competition at Western Oregon University April 21-23.
They are: Lydia Koerner in Radio and Jack Patterson and Ty Bofferding in Public Forum Debate
Joining them at state as third place alternates were Tanis Gonzaga, who at district took third place in prose and Murphy Jackson, who took third place in Impromptu.
Coach David Clarkson said, "This year has been very exciting. Both our graduating seniors have had their personal bests this year and are heading off to college with a ton of pride in their verbal skills.
"Equally exciting is the abundance of fresh talent developing among this years freshman and sophomores. All 13 freshman and sophomores showed tremendous growth over the course of 3-4 tournaments and they are eager to select new literary works and branch out into new events next year.
"Lastly, our team will host next year's District Tournament in April at HRVHS. At that time next year, we will be asking community members to help judge events."
The Speech and Debate team will have a dessert and awards banquet on May 5, at 6:30 p.m. in the high school commons.
Regina Rafelson, Kathryn Yasui and Haley Harkema helped Clarkson coach the team
More like this story
- Death notices for Oct. 22: Ellyn Kane, George Kimball, Kenneth Leibham and Barbara Pink
- Service Announcements for Oct. 22: Louise Neitch and Betty Johnson
- Yesteryears: Cooper’s Spur Road completed in 1926
- ‘Age of Dignity’ discussion series starts Oct. 22
- Advocacy Center holds fundraiser Oct. 22
- Roots and Branches: Find and use your tools
- Columbia Gorge Peace Village hosts film
- WS Library holds ‘Boys in the Boat’ talk Oct. 22
- Gorge receives national honor this weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 19
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge