Monday, August 1, 2011
From the Hood River County Sherriff's office:
On July 31, 2011, just prior to 8 a.m., the Hood River Sheriff's Office received a call from Aric Essig of Portland, reporting that his girlfriend was missing in the Mt. Hood National Forest. He said that his girlfriend, twenty-eight year old Pamela Salant, of Portland, was last seen about noon at Bear Lake, located at the base of Mt. Defiance.
Essig and Salant had planned on camping at the lake overnight Saturday. When they arrived at the lake, they had dropped their gear at a campsite. Somehow, the pair were separated at the lake in search of a better overnight spot. That was the last time Salant was seen.
Over twenty-five personnel from the Sheriff's Office, Crag Rats, Search I K-9, US Forest Service Law Enforcement and National Guard searched the area in the vicinity of the lake until midnight Monday. In addition to ground teams, a helicopter, airplane and three canine teams were activated during Sunday's search.
Salant left the campground dressed in dark colored shorts and a dark red or blue tank top. She is described as 5' 3" and 125 lbs with blond hair. She had no supplies or communications capabilities with her.
The Sheriff's Office had two fixed wing aircraft searching the area early Monday morning. Efforts on the ground to locate Salant continue Monday with teams from the Hood River Sheriff's Office, Multnomah County Sheriff's Office, Pacific Northwest Search and Rescue and US Forest Service Law Enforcement.
Anyone who may have seen Salant in the area of Bear Lake on Saturday, July 31, are asked to contact the Hood River County Sheriff's Office at 541 386-2711.
More like this story
- Gorge Independence Day: Your local guide to July 4th
- Fireworks: ‘Keep it safe, keep it legal’
- Youth mobile nutrition program returns at two Hood River locations
- County board slates $200K in Windmaster Plan for Airport
- ‘Stick to the Westside plan’
- Letters to the Editor for June 28
- Math in a Basket: a second grade teacher sees the connections
- Public Records: Building Records
- Find Your Park
- YESTERYEARS ‘Capacity crowd’ fills Hood River High School auditorium for Flag Day in 1947
Peter Marbach hurries to save his tent from the wind
Peter Marbach comes to the rescue of his wind blown tent. Enlarge