Monday, August 1, 2011
From the Hood River County Sherriff's office:
On July 31, 2011, just prior to 8 a.m., the Hood River Sheriff's Office received a call from Aric Essig of Portland, reporting that his girlfriend was missing in the Mt. Hood National Forest. He said that his girlfriend, twenty-eight year old Pamela Salant, of Portland, was last seen about noon at Bear Lake, located at the base of Mt. Defiance.
Essig and Salant had planned on camping at the lake overnight Saturday. When they arrived at the lake, they had dropped their gear at a campsite. Somehow, the pair were separated at the lake in search of a better overnight spot. That was the last time Salant was seen.
Over twenty-five personnel from the Sheriff's Office, Crag Rats, Search I K-9, US Forest Service Law Enforcement and National Guard searched the area in the vicinity of the lake until midnight Monday. In addition to ground teams, a helicopter, airplane and three canine teams were activated during Sunday's search.
Salant left the campground dressed in dark colored shorts and a dark red or blue tank top. She is described as 5' 3" and 125 lbs with blond hair. She had no supplies or communications capabilities with her.
The Sheriff's Office had two fixed wing aircraft searching the area early Monday morning. Efforts on the ground to locate Salant continue Monday with teams from the Hood River Sheriff's Office, Multnomah County Sheriff's Office, Pacific Northwest Search and Rescue and US Forest Service Law Enforcement.
Anyone who may have seen Salant in the area of Bear Lake on Saturday, July 31, are asked to contact the Hood River County Sheriff's Office at 541 386-2711.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge