Wednesday, February 2, 2011
On Sunday, Jan. 16, William "Dennis" Mathews died as a result of complications due to Parkinson's disease.
Born on Oct. 6, 1928, in Fossil, Ore., he was raised there, becoming a starting baseball player at Fossil High School.
He began his career in the lumber industry at Kinzua Forest Products in Kinzua, Ore. He moved the family to Hood River, Ore., in 1964 where he worked in distribution for the Oregon Journal.
Resuming his career in the lumber industry at Cascade Locks Lumber Co., he then moved to Neal Creek (which later became Hanel Lumber Co.) in 1974.
In 1996, at the age of 64, Dennis retired from Hanel Lumber Co. as a senior grader, after 22 years of employment.
He is survived by his wife, Beverly Mathews at their home in Hood River and their children, Alison, Carol, Sharon, Cindy, Tim, Nate, Pat, Thom, Joe and David; brothers Alan and Rick; numerous grandchildren, great grandchildren, other distant family and many, many friends.
Dennis was preceded in death by his parents, and sister, Ann.
Dennis loved reading his western paperbacks and watching old western movies.
His other interests included the game of golf and his cairn terrier, Ruffy.
Dennis was loved dearly by his family and friends and will be missed greatly.
A special thank you to Joe and Sue Pounders and Lila Mitchell.
Graveside services will be held at Idlewilde Cemetery at 12 noon on Saturday, Jan. 29. Please join us at the Senior Center after the service.
Memorials are encouraged to the Parkinson Foundation and can be sent care of Anderson's.
Arrangements are under the direction of Anderson's Tribute Center, 1401 Belmont Avenue, Hood River, OR 97031.
Please visit our website to leave a note of condolence for family www.AndersonsTributeCenter.com.
More like this story
- Service announcements for Oct. 3
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge