Wednesday, February 2, 2011
Brian and Karen Shortt said Thursday that their 11-year-old athletic garment and shoe store will move in early March from the Heights to Second and Oak streets, in the former Discover Bikes space.
"This is a great location, one of the more prominent ones in town, and we needed more space," Brian said. The business started 14 years ago out of the Shortts' garage, with on-line ordering, and quickly grew as new product lines and vendors came on board.
"We have not been able to serve the community in the way we want, with the space we have had," Brian said.
The store initially will take up 3,000 of the 5,000 available square feet, and expand as needed. This compares to the 2,000-square-foot size of the existing store, at 13th and Belmont.
'This will still be a store for locals. That will be our focus," Karen said.
"It was our goal to be a shoe store for locals, and we have become that with a much broader focus, but first and foremost we want to serve the local community," Brian said.
More like this story
- Sheriff Log, April 17 to 24
- Pet of the week: Dessa needs ‘room to use her hound nose’
- Letters to the editor for May 4
- ANOTHER VOICE: Passing countywide ordinance ‘is wrong’
- Yes to School Bond
- Going Solar: Amateur astronomer provides safe view of our nearest neighborhood star
- Yesteryears: Women challenged at the polls in 1916
- Sustainability Awards presented April 20
- Decker, Elzinga wed
- The Daily Bread: My Life in Dog Years
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge