Wednesday, January 5, 2011
James I. Wakamatsu passed away on Dec. 24, 2010, surrounded by family and friends in Hood River, Ore. He was born Sept. 9, 1915, in Orting, Wash., to Eitaro and Hisa Wakamatsu.
Services will be held Dec. 30 at 1 p.m. in the chapel at Anderson's Tribute Center (Funerals, Receptions, Cremations), 1401 Belmont Ave., Hood River, OR 97031; 541-386-1000. Please visit www.andersonstributecenter.com to leave a note of condolence for family.
Earl Andrew Richards, 78, of Sisters, Ore., died Christmas Day, 2010, with his wife, Mary, at his side.
He was preceded in death by his father, Simon Richards, mother, Nellie Richards, and sister, Helen, all of Hood River.
Survivors include sons James, Douglas, Dave and Jack; daughters Melissa and Mary; eight grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.
A full obituary will follow.
Services are scheduled for January 2011.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for May 28
- Mercado del Valle opens June 2 in new location
- Marble and Shepherd are Elks Students of the Month for May
- Riverside UCC votes for fossil fuel divestment
- Sheriff Log, May 15 to 22
- Community Baby Shower June 4
- ‘Air Panther’ goes aloft
- HRV beats OES, Lincoln, to take sailing state championship
- HRV girls lax wins inaugural Navy championship
- HRV baseball routs Eagle Point in Battle of the Eagles, advances to quarterfinal matchup with Ashland
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge