Friday, January 28, 2011
Coming off a third place finish at the Oregon Classic, the Hood River Valley wrestling team opened its league dual meet season at Pendleton last Thursday and the Eagles laid early claim to second place in the conference standings with a 38-31 win over the Buckaroos.
"Our guys knew what was on the line with this dual, and they really showed how tough we can be," said head coach Trent Kroll. "We took on ranked kids and were kinds of the dark horses coming in. It's going to be hard to keep that low profile now."
After splitting the first four matches from 125-140 pounds, Robert Frasier won by fall in 3:51 over Emmit Skeen at 145, starting a run of five consecutive HRV wins. Pendleton then won four of the final five matches , but it was not enough for the Buckaroos to overtake HRV.
Beyond Frasier HRV winners were David Brunk with a 5-3 decision at 130 pounds, Alex Ayala with a 3-1 decision at 135 pounds, Kelby Broddie with a 10-7 decision at 152-pounds, Jordy Mallon with a fall in 1:52 at 160 pounds, Pancho Castro-Guzman with a fall at 3:38, Anthony Matthews with a technical Fall at the six minute mark at 189 pounds and Brandon Dominguez with a fall in 5:28 at 285 pounds.
The Eagles were at a tournament in Stevenson Saturday, hosted No. 1 ranked Hermiston Tuesday and then host the annual Elks Memorial tournament at HRVHS all day Saturday.
More like this story
- Marimba ‘Mid Winter Party’
- YESTERYEARS: School District No. 3 projects new high school on May Street in 1926
- Are You Ready? Survival 101
- Lyle School celebrates standout science student
- Jim Drake’s Entertainment Blog: Imagining a world with no winners and no losers
- The Ale List: Sense of Place lecture focuses on ‘hoppy history’
- Free tax help through April in HR and TD
- Sheriff Log, Jan. 24 to 31
- Police Log, Jan. 25 to 31
- Public Records: Building permits, city, January 2016