Friday, July 1, 2011
Remember the following complications as a way to safely travel in the community now that summer season has kicked into high gear:
The waterfront is bound to be busy Saturday, between Windfest at the Event Site and the Dog Day Afternoon benefit at Waterfront Park.
Take your time; there's plenty happening.
Lots of folks walk down to the event. With "Dog Day," Windfest throughout town all weekend, and the start of the summer visitor season, there will be plenty of foot traffic in addition to cars and bicycles.
City water line replacement and state highway improvements continue on and around Dee Highway and its access roads.
At exit 64 to Interstate 84, crews will work an unusual six-day schedule for several weeks, adding Saturdays labor in addition to Monday-Friday shifts.
For the most part, equipment will be out of the roadway but it's good to be cautious when traveling through the area.
It can be confusing to navigate the area, particularly for the increasing number of visitors to the Gorge, given the revised through and turning lanes going under the overpass, across Hood River interstate bridge and merging to and from the interstate as well as the Hood River marina and Marketplace.
Finally, First Friday on July 1 will answer to the oft-asked question, "Are they closing the streets?"
Yes, Oak Street will be closed between Second and Sixth streets, and side streets between State and Cascade streets, with north-south vehicle passage at Second Street controlled by police.
The street fair at First Friday is a sure sign of summer.
More like this story
- Death notices for Oct. 22: Ellyn Kane, George Kimball, Kenneth Leibham and Barbara Pink
- Service Announcements for Oct. 22: Louise Neitch and Betty Johnson
- Yesteryears: Cooper’s Spur Road completed in 1926
- ‘Age of Dignity’ discussion series starts Oct. 22
- Advocacy Center holds fundraiser Oct. 22
- Roots and Branches: Find and use your tools
- Columbia Gorge Peace Village hosts film
- WS Library holds ‘Boys in the Boat’ talk Oct. 22
- Gorge receives national honor this weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 19
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge