Friday, July 1, 2011
Fire destroyed the Mosier home of Gordon Withrow, on Rock Creek Road, on Thursday.
"It got everything," said Withrow, who lived in the house for 15 years.
Withrow said faulty wiring may be the cause of the fire in the 110-year-old two-story house.
Mosier Fire Chief Jim Appleton said that could be the case, or overloaded extension cord or other reason.
"Everything was destroyed, so we'll never know," he said.
Mosier was assisted by Pine Grove and Oregon Department of Forestry. A Mosier firefighter was treated at the scene for dehydration.
Withrow, a retiree who lives alone, was cutting wood on the hillside nearby when he saw flames coming out of the windows.
The fire had cut electrical power, so he could not use his pump-powered well to try to fight it.
"I tried to go in, but the flames were too much. I got out with singed eyebrows," Withrow said. He is currently camped on the property, sleeping in a small borrowed trailer. With his limited savings he is hoping to find a larger used trailer to live in.
"Friends and neighbors have been great, helping me out with small things and meals," Withrow said.
A fund has been set up on Withrow's behalf at Bank of America.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for May 28
- Mercado del Valle opens June 2 in new location
- Marble and Shepherd are Elks Students of the Month for May
- Riverside UCC votes for fossil fuel divestment
- Sheriff Log, May 15 to 22
- Community Baby Shower June 4
- ‘Air Panther’ goes aloft
- HRV beats OES, Lincoln, to take sailing state championship
- HRV girls lax wins inaugural Navy championship
- HRV baseball routs Eagle Point in Battle of the Eagles, advances to quarterfinal matchup with Ashland
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge