Thursday, June 9, 2011
After seeing the Hood River Valley boys lacrosse team score 23 goals in its playoff opener, the Sherwood Bowmen were prepared for an Eagle onslaught Friday evening in the OHSLA state lacrosse playoffs.
The Sherwood defense rose to the challenge, keeping the Eagles out of the net in the first half and helping the Bowmen to move on with an 11-6 win.
"To give credit where credit is due, their goalie played a great game, making 22 saves," HRV coach Mac Jackson said.
The Eagles outshot Sherwood 45-28 in the game, but unfortunately for the Eagles they went everywhere but into the net.
"We had lots of opportunities and got the looks on offense that we wanted, but couldn't finish with a good shot," Jackson said. "We hit the pipe eight or nine times and missed shots that we would normally make."
The Eagles also collected 39 ground balls to the Bowmen's 24, but Sherwood dominated the faceoffs 13-6 to create numerous fast-break chances.
Brendan Kerr and Andrew Thompson had two goals each for HRV, while Pierce Whalen and Ryan Foster had one each.
Malcolm McCurdy made 11 saves in goal for HRV.
More like this story
- Pick of the Week: Elks’ Oktoberfest returns Sept. 23
- Roots and Branches: There is no masking care
- YESTERYEARS: Odell Sanitation District opens bids for new plant in 1967
- Wy’east class of ’67 celebrates 50-year reunion
- Foster Parenting: Simple answers to a challenging task
- Success is one caring adult away
- Pet of the Week: Bojangles looking for an active family
- Letters to the Editor for Sept. 20 edition
- ‘Overwhelming enthusiasm’: Community comes together for firefighters
- Parkhurst Place plans ‘thank you’ this week for fire first responders
Governor visits Hood River during fire
Oregon Gov. Kate Brown visited Hood River Hotel Thursday morning, Sept. 14, discussing economic impacts of the Eagle Creek fire with local business leaders. Attendees included Sen. Chuck Thomsen, Mayor Paul Blackburn, and business representatives from Celilo Restaurant, Double Mountain Brewery and Cascade Locks' The Renewal Workshop. For updates on the fire, stay tuned at www.hoodrivernews.com. Enlarge