Monday, June 13, 2011
Their seasons may have ended too soon for their likings, but the HRV softball and baseball teams still took home plenty of hardware when the CRC all-league teams were announced earlier this week.
Kayla Byers was named to the first team all-league as pitcher after starting every game in the circle for the Eagles as a freshman, while Erika Enriquez and Hannah Williams also made the first team. Enriquez was named to the first team as an outfielder, after anchoring the Eagles' lineup from the leadoff spot and making several spectacular plays in right field; while Williams was named as a designated player after a breakout hitting campaign as a sophomore.
Annie Veatch made the second team infield after a stellar freshman season at third base for the Eagles.
The Hood River Valley baseball team also had several first-team nods.
Senior Parker Sherrell was named first-team outfielder after hitting .400 with three home runs. He was also named second-team pitcher after leading the Eagles in innings pitched and posting a 5-4 record with a sub-4 era.
Despite playing in only 11 varsity games, Nick Weekly was named first-team designated hitter after posting a .324/.439/.471 line.
Kyle Beam was named second team as catcher, while Eric McNerney and Lucio Alaniz both made second team as infielders and David Gibson as an outfielder.
Both the HRV softball and baseball teams made the OSAA Academic All-State 3.0+ GPA list, with the softball team finishing with a 3.38 GPA and the baseball team a 3.28.
More like this story
- Library announces Odell bus service
- Learn the art of personal storytelling
- Steelhead, Chinook fishing clinic Feb. 27
- Help library win ‘Million Page Challenge’
- Church News: Nazarene’s install new pastor
- Letters to the Editor for Feb. 6
- MAILS and Marijuana: Legislators right to work to stamp out a bad, old regulation
- Entertainment Update for Feb. 6
- The Porch: Feb. 6
- ‘Pass The Pig’: HRVHS plans FFA Week events