Wednesday, March 2, 2011
Can you toss a 20-inch pizza 20 feet?
That will be part of the fun at Andrew's Pizza and Skylight Theatre March 4-11 when the Oak Street business celebrates its 20th anniversary.
Trivia contests, free slices, 1991 beer prices, gifts and free movies are other events to expect.
Andrew and Melissa McElderry opened the pizzeria in March 1991, and five years later expanded to add the Skylight Theatre.
Just like old times, the McElderrys will work the counter Tuesday and Saturday.
Films (titles to be announced) from spring 1991 will be shown free at noon on March 5-6.
Here's what's happening at Andrew's:
• March 4, the Gorge Ukulele Festival open mic event starts at 9 p.m.
• March 5, 2 p.m., try your hand at the 20-foot pizza toss, in front of the store.
• March 5, singer-songwriter Alex Ellison, son of manager Chris Ellison, will give a free concert from 6-9 p.m.
• There will be a daily trivia contest for people who can say they have lived in Hood River for 20 years or longer; correct answers deliver 20 gift cards for $20 and 20 T-shirts.
• On March 4-5 the first 20 people who can cite the 1991 price of an 18-inch cheese pizza gets it for that price.
• Each day, free pizza slices will go to the first 20 people to request one.
• All Full Sail beer will be sold at 1991 prices
Question: what was the name of the bakery at 107 Oak St. before Andrew's Pizza opened shop 20 years ago?
Answer: Sail Away Bakery, which was owned by Chris Ellison, who returned from a traveling career in food and beverage eight years ago and has been Andrew's general manager ever since.
More like this story
- Fireworks: ‘Keep it safe, keep it legal’
- Youth mobile nutrition program returns at two Hood River locations
- County board slates $200K in Windmaster Plan for Airport
- ‘Stick to the Westside plan’
- Letters to the Editor for June 28
- Math in a Basket: a second grade teacher sees the connections
- Public Records: Building Records
- Find Your Park
- YESTERYEARS ‘Capacity crowd’ fills Hood River High School auditorium for Flag Day in 1947
- HRVST Osprey swimmers post state-qualifying times at Howard Jones invitationals in Gresham
Peter Marbach hurries to save his tent from the wind
Peter Marbach comes to the rescue of his wind blown tent. Enlarge