Tuesday, March 22, 2011
The Hood River Valley boys tennis team got what it was expecting from the front end of its team, and then got some clutch performances on the back end to defeat Gresham 5-3 Wednesday in its home opener.
Luke Ihle cruised to a 6-4, 6-2 win in No. 1 singles and Jonathan Goatcher and Goatcher and Josh Ziegner rallied from a first set loss to win 1-6, 6-0, 6-0 in No. 1 singles.
The Eagles had to forfeit No. 4 singles and then saw the match come down to the No. 4 doubles and No. 3 singles match. With a loss in either, Gresham would have won the match on sets won.
However, Levi Roeseler and Zeb Braun came back after losing the first set in No. 4 doubles and then cruised to a 6-7 (1), 6-1, 6-4 win.
In the last match of the night, Zach Nunberg stormed back in the third set to beat Brian Chin 6-4, 5-7, 6-4 and clinch the win for the Eagles.
"It was his first time playing singles in a couple of years," HRV coach Jon Hiatt said. "I was really proud of him for staying mentally tough throughout the match."
More like this story
- Citizen group rises to oppose Westside plan
- Defeat the Heat: Officials urge safe beach use, paddling preparedness
- Culvert repair project at Indian Creek will begin June 26
- Students from Hood River selected for China trip
- Vintage bridal gowns now on display at History Museum
- The Porch for June 24
- Art of Community revised
- Letters to the Editor for June 24
- Hang up and walk: Distracted pedestrians are on the rise
- U.S. Hwy 30 bridge work underway
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge