Tuesday, March 22, 2011
The Hood River Valley boys tennis team got what it was expecting from the front end of its team, and then got some clutch performances on the back end to defeat Gresham 5-3 Wednesday in its home opener.
Luke Ihle cruised to a 6-4, 6-2 win in No. 1 singles and Jonathan Goatcher and Goatcher and Josh Ziegner rallied from a first set loss to win 1-6, 6-0, 6-0 in No. 1 singles.
The Eagles had to forfeit No. 4 singles and then saw the match come down to the No. 4 doubles and No. 3 singles match. With a loss in either, Gresham would have won the match on sets won.
However, Levi Roeseler and Zeb Braun came back after losing the first set in No. 4 doubles and then cruised to a 6-7 (1), 6-1, 6-4 win.
In the last match of the night, Zach Nunberg stormed back in the third set to beat Brian Chin 6-4, 5-7, 6-4 and clinch the win for the Eagles.
"It was his first time playing singles in a couple of years," HRV coach Jon Hiatt said. "I was really proud of him for staying mentally tough throughout the match."
More like this story
- Raffle winner announced
- ‘Santa’s Surprise’ comes to WAAAM
- Police Log, Nov. 20 to 26
- CGCAN hosts holiday party Dec. 20
- Lighted fire trucks roll Dec. 11 to 13
- Letters to the Editor for Dec. 9
- Good Cheer: Small adjustments keep help flowing
- Editor's Notebook: A modest, six-figure solution to NCAA coaching salary excess
- Church News: Updated for Dec. 9 edition
- HRV girls basketball win in the final seconds at home
Advertisement: The Men of Black Friday
The secret agents of Big Winds may not exactly be Tommy Lee Jones oand Will Smith, but they still discovered there is plenty of strangeness to be found in Hood River...especially once winter sets in. Enlarge