Friday, March 25, 2011
The birds are chirping...the flowers blooming and the air is alive with...the sound of lacrosse balls zipping through the air!
Naturally we start first in lacrosse:
• In Seattle Drew LaMaita is playing as a freshman for the University of Washington lacrosse team. He has appeared in six games and has yet to score a goal but has collected four ground balls.
• Andrew Dirks, whose younger brother Chris is a defenseman for HRV, is playing for the Oregon State University lacrosse team this season.
• The Western Oregon University lacrosse team is full of HRV alums. Jacob Bohince is second on the team with 24 goals. Older brother Ian Bohince has 18 goals and 12 assists.
Joe Gehrig has nine ground balls collected in nine games played.
• Dustyn Lyons is back in goal for Herkimer Community college in New York. The Generals' season gets under way this week.
• Morgan Nance scored her first collegiate goal in a 19-1 win by Mesa State College over Millsaps last week.
• Another sport that has plenty of Hood River athletes involved collegiately is crew. One of those athletes, Nick Delgado, just helped his Torero four-man team pick up a win in Newport Beach, Calif., in dramatic fashion. From the University of San Diego athletic site:
"The USD four, comprised of Katherine Lumbard, Kyle Martinez, Luke Tooker, Nick Delgado and Michael Perkins, moved into the second thousand of the course with a strong attack that moved them clear of the field. While UCLA made a late counter-attack, they came up one-tenth of a second short at the finish."
• Finally, for your trivia:
Which school holds the record for the most titles won in the college baseball world series?
A: Southern California, with 12.
That is reason No. 1,948 to be glad I am your local sports reporter.
More like this story
- Two escape from state corrections
- Sports briefs for Aug. 16
- Lost boy found safe near Parkdale
- YESTERYEARS: Hottest August day ever recorded in 1977
- Design for a legacy
- Pick of the Week: Jim Lommasson at CCA
- The mural and Nate Chavez
- Letters to the Editor, Aug. 16 edition
- City of Hood River: Mayor asks Rep. Walden to ‘join our collective call’ on energy
- Power line fire doused Monday
Planet Fly at Pfriem
The band Planet Fly plays at Pfriem in an outdoor concert. Enlarge