Wednesday, May 11, 2011
The history of the "Little Brown Church" is the history of Parkdale.
The United Church of the Upper Hood River Valley, also known as Parkdale Community Church, is planning a series of events on May 13-15 to celebrate its 100th anniversary in the Upper Valley.
Everyone is welcome to join in the joyful celebrations. The festivities kick off on May 13 from 6-8 p.m. at the church on Baseline Road in Parkdale with an informal, no-host get-together. A simple meal will be provided. Community members are encouraged to gather to share memories and visit with friends, old and new.
On May 14 from noon to 1:30 p.m. there will be a barbecue lunch at the church. The church will provide meat and dessert and attendees are asked to bring a salad or side dish.
Also on Saturday will be an anniversary celebration program from 2-4 p.m. featuring a concert presented by Harmony of the Gorge. Those interested in singing with the Centennial Choir on Sunday, May 15, are encouraged to stay for a rehearsal immediately following this program.
On May 15 from 10 a.m. to noon a worship service will be held celebrating 100 years in the Upper Hood River Valley.
The church is asking residents and friends for pictures that reflect the history of the church and the community. If you have pictures you would like to share, mail a copy to the church at P.O. Box 37, Parkdale, OR 97041; or email scanned photos in digital .jpeg format to email@example.com. This way the church can incorporate the pictures into a slideshow to be presented on Saturday afternoon.
"As we plan for what promises to be a fun event, we would appreciate an RSVP so we can prepare accordingly," said anniversary committee member Mary Blumenthal. "We are so excited to be able to gather and praise God for the last 100 years and look forward to the ways in which we will be blessed by God as we share Jesus with our neighbors in this wonderful valley."
More like this story
- Sunnyside church invites communityto 100-year anniversary observance
- Parkdale News: Churches of the Upper Valley celebrate Christmas
- PARKDALE NEWS: Parkdale Fire re-ignites Christmas tree lighting
- Sunnyside church's 100th anniversary celebration to begin a week from Sunday
- Dallas church celebrates 100 years
- Cider Central: Cider Café opens, ’Gorge Society’ rebrands
- HR Library hosts Songwriters in the Round Sept. 16
- Entertainment Update for Sept. 5
- Labor Day: Drive with care, and take a moment to honor workers who can’t take a break
- Editor's Notebook: Will guards’ new disdain cancel refugees tickets’ aboard today’s European train?
- Police Log, Aug. 24 to 30
- Building Permits, City, August 2015
- HRV girls soccer looks to continue its winning ways
- Sports Briefs for Sept. 5
- Young team, playoff dreams for HRV volleyball
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge