Wednesday, May 18, 2011
Here are highlights of the May 17 Special District votes, according to preliminary results from the Hood River County Elections website.
See the May 21 edition for full results
Voters kept one incumbent and turned another out the Port of Hood River Commission races May 17, choosing Brian Shortt over Position 4 incumbent Sherry Bohn, 1,464 to 807 and returning Position 5 commissioner Hoby Streich in an overwhelming margin over two challengers.
The Odell-Pine Grove fire district merger proposal passed by a large margin, with Odell voters saying yes 294-63 and Pine Grove voters casting 113 yes votes to 61 no.
Streich gained 1,461 votes to Erlene Veverka Smith's 368 and Rob Kovacich's 355.
Meanwhile, in the Port of Cascade Locks commission races, Samantha Verschuren edged Rob Brostoff, 94 to 83, and Brenda Cramblett defeated Gail Lewis, 106 to 74.
Running unopposed were Hood River Port District 3 commissioner Rich McBride and Donna Mohr for Cascade Locks Port position 2.
Charlotte Arnold defeated Martha Dell in the onl,y contested race for Columbia Gorge Community College. Arnold won 1,490 to 506 in the Position 4 race.
Art Carroll, Glenna Mahurin and Karen Ford were the top three candidates in the Hood River County Parks and Recreation Board race, with 22.5. 21.5 and 16.9 percent of the vote, respectively.
More like this story
- Mt. Hood’s Timberline Trail reopens after upgrades
- Unemployment remains low in Hood River, Wasco Counties
- Bluegrass Jamboree celebrates 17 years
- Man drowns in Pine Hollow reservoir
- Discovery Center hosts ‘This Place’ discussion Oct. 8
- High school senior expands book box project
- All About Fall: Your guide to a bountiful, beautiful time in the Gorge
- Young, Wilson married at Griffin House
- Gorge CROP Walk raises $5,000, and counting
- ‘Chaos of the day’ leads to happy end
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge