Wednesday, May 18, 2011
Miko and Eric "Zed" Ruhlen recently purchased Hood River Hobbies, 110 Fourth St.
This "fun for all ages" retail store has been in operation for 12 years and draws hobbyists from throughout the Mid-Columbia area. The Ruhlens are former business owners with experience in business management.
The purchase was a natural fit for the Ruhlens, as Zed is an avid hobbyist and has a longtime passion for radio-controlled vehicles and model planes. Steven Scheer will continue to manage the store, which will now accept major credit cards and debit cards.
The Ruhlens plan to offer a wide selection of radio-controlled toys, along with games, kites and hobby and craft supplies. They also plan to expand the lines of hobby-related toys and activities and include new hobbies such as bird watching.
Columbia Gorge Community College provided guidance in acquiring the business and Mid-Columbia Economic Development District provided a loan to purchase the business and add new inventory.
More like this story
- Boys lax suffers significant setback in league opener
- Letters to the Editor for April 30
- No on 14-55: But not a ‘yes’ to Nestlé
- ‘Putting your house in order’ returns May 11
- Police Log, April 12 to 24, part 2 of 2
- Sheriff Log, April 17 to 24
- ‘Music at the Dawn’ brings early 1900s to life
- Entertainment Update for April 30
- GOP governor candidates spar in Hood River
- Late rally falls short in HRV loss to Hermiston
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge