Tuesday, May 31, 2011
Kirra Paulus and McKenzie Kerr are headed back to state - and have had a little more time to enjoy the ride this time.
After being put together as a duo before last year's district tournament, the pair played together all year, and capped the season with a third-place finish and state spot at the team's district tournament earlier this week.
It will be the second trip to state for the duo, who will play at the Tualatin Hills Tennis Center in Beaverton starting next Thursday.
The Eagles finished third as team, the top team in the district from the Columbia River Conference.
Celine Lentz qualified as a singles alternate after finishing fifth, while Emily Ziegner finished sixth.
"The amazing part was everyone had some matches or sets where they were playing really some of their best tennis," HRV coach Leslie Kerr said. "The level of tennis raised as the weekend went on and it was really fun to watch."
The Eagle boys were not able to qualify anyone for state, finishing sixth as a team at the district tournament.
Josh Ziegner finished sixth in singles, the highest individual finisher for HRV.
The doubles team of Jonathon Goatcher and Luke Ihle finished eighth for the Eagles after losing in the championship quarterfinals.
More like this story
- Cider Central: Cider Café opens, ’Gorge Society’ rebrands
- HR Library hosts Songwriters in the Round Sept. 16
- Entertainment Update for Sept. 5
- Labor Day: Drive with care, and take a moment to honor workers who can’t take a break
- Editor's Notebook: Will guards’ new disdain cancel refugees tickets’ aboard today’s European train?
- Police Log, Aug. 24 to 30
- Building Permits, City, August 2015
- HRV girls soccer looks to continue its winning ways
- Sports Briefs for Sept. 5
- Young team, playoff dreams for HRV volleyball
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge