Wednesday, April 4, 2012
The Hood River Tennis Courts Committee is ready to take the next step in applying for funds to repair the city's aging Tsaruta Tennis Courts.
"We're applying for a big Oregon Parks and Rec grant which would cover 60 percent of it," said HRV girls tennis coach and committee member Leslie Kerr. "We just need to have the other 40 percent secured."
The courts currently have numerous large cracks in the surface and are continuing to detoriate.
The approximate total cost of the project is $230,00. With those funds the committee plans to resurface the court with Premier Court and Latex-Lite a, which provides a cushioned surface and a crack free warranty. They also plan, new net posts, lighting a back board, fencing upgrade and the Tsuruta Viewing area.
So far the group has raised $32,000 in funds, along with a $9,000 in kind contribution from EIL Engineering. Hood River Parks and Recreation is contributing $8,000, and the Tsuruta Sister City Foundation has pledged $1,000 toward the viewing area.
The Committee is hoping to make up the remaining $29,000 in needed funds through grants and donations
The group plans to submit the grant application April 1 and would like to have the funds secured by then.
Any one interested in donating may contact Kerr at email@example.com.
"This is a group of citizens who have gotten together to do this," Kerr said of the committee. "If we don't do it, the courts may be closed and we don't have a lot of options.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for June 21
- Another Voice: New legislation is win-win for community college students
- Fight leads to reported stabbing in Cascade Locks
- Former Hood River resident dies in wreck on I-84
- Columbia sturgeon season returns
- High Prairie Firehouse Sale back this weekend
- Roots and Branches: High energy children and the belief to succeed
- Entertainment Update for June 21
- Loretta and Patsy: Together Again
- Sports briefs for June 21
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge