Wednesday, April 4, 2012
Horizon Christian took advantage of some of the best weather so far this spring, to knock off Cove-Union in both games of a doubleheader in the Hawks home opener Monday afternoon at Collins Field.
The Hawks were all over the Bobcats from the get-go of the first game, plating four runs in the first inning. However, Cove-Union bounced back and eventually led 5-4 before the Hawks scored seven unanswered runs to close out the game.
Sam Anthony started on the hill for Horizon and pitched well before being relieved by Mitch Engel when he reached his early season pitch count limit.
In the second game, the Hawks had a bit more difficulty. Cove-Union scored twice in the first inning, the first run coming when a Cove-Union runner got in just under the tag of a Micah Engel bullet from center field.
The Hawks came back to tie the game in the bottom half of the inning on a single by Anthony and a bases-loaded walk, and went on to win 8-4.
After the rough first inning Horizon pitcher Jake Wells did not give up a run over the next three innings before giving way to Max Totaro.
"Our pitching was the highlight," said Horizon coach Joe Petshow. "We had so many ground ball outs and so many ground balls which were potential outs."
The Hawks are scheduled to play Thursday at Portland Christian, with their next home game coming April 14 against Stanfield-Echo.
The two victories pushed the Hawks to 4-1 on the season. They opened the season with a 15-3, 13-2 doubleheader sweep over St. Paul in The Dalles, and lost to The Dalles-Wahtonka JV team 11-8, also in The Dalles.
More like this story
- HRVHS Speech and Debate finds tournament success
- Rocket building class Nov. 22
- Business Notes for Nov. 18
- Church News: Interfaith Thanksgiving service Nov. 20 in White Salmon
- Northwest author pens book of hunting stories
- HAHRC BEATS: Preventing type 2 diabetes begins with changes
- US Postal Service debuts Alzheimer’s fundraising stamp
- Oregon State Parks celebrate ‘Green Friday’
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 18
- Kegler's Corner: Randy’s Painting Tops Industrial
Blasting on I84
Blasting on I84 Enlarge