Wednesday, April 18, 2012
Kim Vogel, center, won the second annual Tongue Twister Tournament April 6. The event, a benefit for SMART Reading Program in Hood River County, raised $920 for the literacy program that serves students in local elementary schools. With her are runners-up Tom Penchoen, left, and Greg Gilbertson. Vogel, dressed in her pirate garb for Lions Follies (details, page B1) beat a field of nine other local residents, including defending champion Buzzy Nielsen. Musicians Ben Bonham, Ronnie Ontiveros and Dennis Williams performed and audience members tried tongue twisters to win prizes; youths from the Health Media Clubs at Hood River and Wy’east middle schools also did tongue twisters. Other competitors were Regena Rafelson, Murphy Jackson, Janet Cook, Andrea Roberts and John Rust. Judges for the event were Shaun Anderson, Emily Wells and Will Carey. Sponsors were Cascade Eye Center and the law office of Annala, Carey, Baker and Thompson.
More like this story
- Service Announcement for Oct. 26: Vernon Picking
- Death Notices for Oct. 26: Mary Stinson, Wilma Bolton, Kathleen Coffey, Thomas Pierce and Evelyn Helseth
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 22
- Another Voice: Community of caring, and the public issue of homelessness
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’ opens next weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 22
- Bridging Marine Park
- Death café at the library Oct. 26
- Halloween’s a Coming: Your Guide to Fun Oct. 29-31
- What’s the BUZZ on pollinators?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge