Wednesday, April 25, 2012
Hood River Special Olympic Athlete Mariah Langer was chosen Athlete of the Month for SOOR Oregon.
Over a 29-year period she has been competing in SOOR Sports including skiing, track and field, basketball golf, swimming, bowling and bocce. Her wall of medals proves her love and dedication for the sports.
Athletes recognize Mariah’s leadership and commitment for her involvement in sports, fundraiser activities and community affairs.
Mariah holds the seat of VP on the Arc of the Mid Columbia Board (two-year term), which works with individuals with disabilities and also helps with respite care. They meet once a month and plan fundraisers and have a Friendship Club that meets once a month at the Adult Center in Hood River.
For the last five-plus years she has been on the board of Eastern Oregon Service Brokerage, which services all of Eastern Oregon.
More like this story
- Fire burns Underwood Fruit & Warehouse Wednesday
- Second annual ‘Rooted’ story event on Nov. 2
- HRVAC hosts harvest dinner
- Eagle Creek fire info meetings Oct. 17-18 in CL, HR
- Local farm named among ‘Best Places to Pick Apples’
- Colors Day
- Two quilt shows in the Gorge
- Roots and Branches: Principles set in stone
- YESTERYEARS: Cooper Spur district gets electric service in 1947
- Letters to the Editor, Oct. 18 edition
Sixth Annual Harvest Fest Pie Eating Contest
The sixth annual Pie Eating Contest at Hood River Harvest Fest is sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce and HRVHS youth service group Leaders for Tomorrow. HRVHS student Dylan Polewczyk won the 1-minute fruit-pie eating event. Key rule, as stated by Chamber President Jason Shaner, “You have to eat the pie, you can’t just dislocate it. We will be checking for pie dislocation.” Enlarge