Wednesday, April 25, 2012
Abe Stevens and Amanda Goeke opened Volcanic Bottle Shoppe about two years ago, at a time when opening a new business was even riskier than usual.
Then again, maybe it wasn’t such a risky move. The over-21 population around town has a distinct penchant for hop-laden craft beverages after all, highlighted by the unofficial but popular statistics that Hood River has more breweries per capita than any other town in America.
“Amanda and I had been working in town for about a year when we both lost our jobs,” Stevens said. “I had seen a similar bottle shop in Eugene and it seemed obvious that a place like that would work in Hood River. We decided to give it a shot. So far it has been working well for us.”
Business has been good enough that the small 12th Street location will be about twice as big when an expansion project is completed in a few weeks. The expansion will take over an empty space to the south of the building, where a mortgage lender and a salon held offices for a short time.
“When we rented the space originally, we knew there would be the possibility of expanding next door in the future,” Stevens said. “A year and a half later we were running out of space and the unit was open, so we went for it.”
The expansion, expected to be finished the first week of May, will provide more seating and a bigger bar.
“It’s still a relatively small area, but the extra space is going to make a big difference when we have music and events,” Stevens said. “Right now there’s really not much room; the place gets packed pretty easy.”
Volcanic Bottle Shoppe, located at 1410 12th St., is a 21-and-over establishment that specializes in carrying a wide selection of imported and craft beers and wine, available for both carry-out or consumption on-premises. In addition to the current street-front space and the future expansion, the shop also has an enclosed courtyard area for outdoor seating.
More like this story
- The Ale List: Tip the Volkanische Vijf, (or, how a 3-way collaboration celebrates a 5)
- Gorge Owned kicks off the New Year with Green Drinks at Volcanic Bottle Shoppe
- Entertainment Update for May 23
- The Ale List: Local beer, new and renewed on tap, in bottles, and in books
- Entertainment Update for Dec. 15, 2012
- Death notices for Aug. 31: Robert Stratton and Dale Glasgow
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge