Friday, April 27, 2012
Decision time for Hood River County voters edges closer.
Ballots go out in one week for the May 15 Primary Election. Set aside the done-deal GOP presidential vote - there will be plenty else to decide, including the increasingly fascinating local Sheriff and District Attorney races.
A good start for getting to know the candidates is the State Voters' Pamphlet, which arrived in mailboxes this week.
Another way, for the two contested county races, is the candidates' forum at Columbia Gorge Hotel (details on page A1).
Also on the ballot, State Rep. Mark Johnson will watch as two Democratic opponents - Peter Nordbye of Brightwood and Marv Hollingsworth of Rhododendron - face off in the May 15 Primary Election.
There are no challengers to the county Board of Commission seats, where Ron Rivers, Maui Meyer and Les Perkins have filed for re-election
The Sheriff's race pits three veteran law enforcement officers for the position that Joe Wampler will retire from at the end of 2012. The candidates are Hood River Police Chief Neal Holste, Det. Sgt. Gerry Tiffany of the Hood River County Sheriff's Department and Matt English, detective with the Sheriff's Department.
A critical date to note is that Tuesday is the last day to register to vote for the May 15 Primary.
County election offices are located in the County Administration Building, Sixth and State streets, and are open until 5 p.m.
This election represents a chance for all eligible voters to have a voice in some important decisions, particularly on the local level. Qualified candidates have put their names up for important leadership positions, and it is up to the voting community to have its say.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge