Wednesday, August 1, 2012
Wilbur the pig was at the fair.
Unusual among the porcine crowd, she enjoys a bath.
That’s right, the York cross Wilbur is a girl.
Owner Frannie Ybarra, an FFA member, saw no reason not to name her market hog after the famous pig of “Charlotte’s Web” fame.
“I really like the name; it fits her. Who says Wilbur can’t be a girl’s name?” asked Ybarra, an Odell resident. She graduated in 2012 from Hood River Valley High School.
On Thursday evening Wilbur had been weighed, all 222 pounds, and Frannie was spending a few minutes just hanging out with her, along with her friend Cesar Zarate, 16, before Friday’s crucial swine showmanship competition.
Getting Wilbur ready for judging might be a little easier than most of his kind, Frannie said.
“The thing is, I went to bath her, and you know pigs are usually screaming and standing and trying to get out, but she, like, enjoyed it,” Frannie said.
“She wagged her tail, and actually laid back and put her arms out and it’s like, ‘Alright, Mom, I’m ready to be washed.’ She’s pretty calm. And she just loves being scratched.”
At that, Frannie and Cesar took turns scratching Wilbur’s pink belly.
Turn to page B6 for the first portion of results from this year’s Hood River County Fair.
Readers will find Open Class art exhibit and 4-H results.
Their publication is a Hood River News annual tradition, and, as usual, we strive to print as many results as possible as quickly as we can.
Results are provided by the fair superintendents and staff, and by 4-H staff at Hood River County 4-H Extension.
More like this story
- Gratitude goes out for acts of help and hospitality
- Hood River Elks Lodge makes donation to Meals on Wheels
- Police Log, Sept. 28 to Oct. 4
- Public Records, Building Permits, County, September 2015
- Upset! HRV takes down The Dalles, clinches first play-in spot since 2012
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 10
- Quick start propels HRV girls soccer to victory over Hermiston
- Water polo teams poised to make runs at the state title
- Port begins lower Hanel mill ground work
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 10
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge