Wednesday, August 1, 2012
Wilbur the pig was at the fair.
Unusual among the porcine crowd, she enjoys a bath.
That’s right, the York cross Wilbur is a girl.
Owner Frannie Ybarra, an FFA member, saw no reason not to name her market hog after the famous pig of “Charlotte’s Web” fame.
“I really like the name; it fits her. Who says Wilbur can’t be a girl’s name?” asked Ybarra, an Odell resident. She graduated in 2012 from Hood River Valley High School.
On Thursday evening Wilbur had been weighed, all 222 pounds, and Frannie was spending a few minutes just hanging out with her, along with her friend Cesar Zarate, 16, before Friday’s crucial swine showmanship competition.
Getting Wilbur ready for judging might be a little easier than most of his kind, Frannie said.
“The thing is, I went to bath her, and you know pigs are usually screaming and standing and trying to get out, but she, like, enjoyed it,” Frannie said.
“She wagged her tail, and actually laid back and put her arms out and it’s like, ‘Alright, Mom, I’m ready to be washed.’ She’s pretty calm. And she just loves being scratched.”
At that, Frannie and Cesar took turns scratching Wilbur’s pink belly.
Turn to page B6 for the first portion of results from this year’s Hood River County Fair.
Readers will find Open Class art exhibit and 4-H results.
Their publication is a Hood River News annual tradition, and, as usual, we strive to print as many results as possible as quickly as we can.
Results are provided by the fair superintendents and staff, and by 4-H staff at Hood River County 4-H Extension.
More like this story
- ‘Operation Dry Water’ this weekend
- The Next Door marks 45 years
- Letter to the Editor for June 25
- No to oil trains
- Another Voice: Trains in the Columbia Gorge are going in the wrong direction
- Another Voice: Parks District should focus efforts on a west side site, not Barrett property
- HRV students earn Ford Foundation scholarships
- This summer, 'Have a Free Book'
- New varsity basketball coaches Christopher Dirks and Donnie Herneisen look to reinvigorate HRV program
- Sports Briefs for June 25
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge