Wednesday, August 1, 2012
Wilbur the pig was at the fair.
Unusual among the porcine crowd, she enjoys a bath.
That’s right, the York cross Wilbur is a girl.
Owner Frannie Ybarra, an FFA member, saw no reason not to name her market hog after the famous pig of “Charlotte’s Web” fame.
“I really like the name; it fits her. Who says Wilbur can’t be a girl’s name?” asked Ybarra, an Odell resident. She graduated in 2012 from Hood River Valley High School.
On Thursday evening Wilbur had been weighed, all 222 pounds, and Frannie was spending a few minutes just hanging out with her, along with her friend Cesar Zarate, 16, before Friday’s crucial swine showmanship competition.
Getting Wilbur ready for judging might be a little easier than most of his kind, Frannie said.
“The thing is, I went to bath her, and you know pigs are usually screaming and standing and trying to get out, but she, like, enjoyed it,” Frannie said.
“She wagged her tail, and actually laid back and put her arms out and it’s like, ‘Alright, Mom, I’m ready to be washed.’ She’s pretty calm. And she just loves being scratched.”
At that, Frannie and Cesar took turns scratching Wilbur’s pink belly.
Turn to page B6 for the first portion of results from this year’s Hood River County Fair.
Readers will find Open Class art exhibit and 4-H results.
Their publication is a Hood River News annual tradition, and, as usual, we strive to print as many results as possible as quickly as we can.
Results are provided by the fair superintendents and staff, and by 4-H staff at Hood River County 4-H Extension.
More like this story
- Eagles get four all-CRC in bball, teams do well academically
- Eagles do well academically and get four into all-CRC in basketball
- Eagle wrestlers score numerous victories in busy month of wrestling
- For groups like the Wy’east Wranglers, fair is the highlight of summer
- Lee Foster, 4-H guiding light, named to Hall of Fame
- Yesteryears: Cooper’s Spur Road completed in 1926
- ‘Age of Dignity’ discussion series starts Oct. 22
- Advocacy Center holds fundraiser Oct. 22
- Roots and Branches: Find and use your tools
- Columbia Gorge Peace Village hosts film
- WS Library holds ‘Boys in the Boat’ talk Oct. 22
- Gorge receives national honor this weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 19
- ‘Mayerdale Place’ program Oct. 21
- County continues marijuana hearings
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge