Wednesday, August 1, 2012
Every summer at the fair brings back great memories of elephant ears the size of my head to stomach-turning rides to great exhibits and shows.
This year was no different — my wife and I almost didn’t go to the fair. While on a hike, Victoria unfortunately tore ligaments in her ankle the Monday before the fair started and had to keep it elevated and iced for most of the week. We were determined to go and enjoy the fair though, and after taking it easy early in the week, she was able to hobble around enough on crutches Saturday for us to experience the exotic animal tent, a giant turkey leg, an enormous elephant ear, and a couple refreshing snocones.
We also got to see a few rides, including my childhood favorite: the Yo-Yo. We didn’t stay long, but it was enough to have a great time and to make another unforgettable memory.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for May 28
- Mercado del Valle opens June 2 in new location
- Marble and Shepherd are Elks Students of the Month for May
- Riverside UCC votes for fossil fuel divestment
- Sheriff Log, May 15 to 22
- Community Baby Shower June 4
- ‘Air Panther’ goes aloft
- HRV beats OES, Lincoln, to take sailing state championship
- HRV girls lax wins inaugural Navy championship
- HRV baseball routs Eagle Point in Battle of the Eagles, advances to quarterfinal matchup with Ashland
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge