Saturday, August 11, 2012
Hood River Sports Club’s 2.5 U.S. Tennis Association women’s team plays this weekend in a sectional playoff tournament in Portland. The team advanced to the tournament after a 5-0 sweep at the Eastern Washington Regional Tournament earlier his year.
The team faces tough competition this weekend as it tries to qualify for the next level of action; the USTA National Tournament held next month in Rancho Mirage, Calif.
Team members are Megan Schilling (captain), Jan Carmicheal, Kate Karlson, Karen Ostrye, Kathryn Guisto, Renee Vandegriend, Linda Hanners, Shayla Fleischer, Bea Hager and coach Kevin Beeson.
More like this story
- Late night total bridge closure Tuesday, Oct. 24
- Photos from the Oct. 18 Underwood Fruit fire
- Death notice for Oct. 21 edition: Marc Wixman
- Service announcements for Oct. 21 edition: George Watanabe, Heidi Hansberger and Harrison Peters
- Fire burns Underwood Fruit & Warehouse Wednesday
- Second annual ‘Rooted’ story event on Nov. 2
- HRVAC hosts harvest dinner
- Eagle Creek fire info meetings Oct. 17-18 in CL, HR
- Local farm named among ‘Best Places to Pick Apples’
- Colors Day
Sixth Annual Harvest Fest Pie Eating Contest
The sixth annual Pie Eating Contest at Hood River Harvest Fest is sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce and HRVHS youth service group Leaders for Tomorrow. HRVHS student Dylan Polewczyk won the 1-minute fruit-pie eating event. Key rule, as stated by Chamber President Jason Shaner, “You have to eat the pie, you can’t just dislocate it. We will be checking for pie dislocation.” Enlarge