Saturday, August 18, 2012
In an unfortunate fizzling of momentum, the annual Gorge Cup windsurfing series concluded last weekend with its fifth and final race being canceled due to lack of wind. Standings as of that event were used as final results and, to no great surprise but much to his credit, Bruce Peterson finished first overall against a fleet of 37 racers. Not far off Peterson’s mark was MacRae Wylde in second and, as the star of the summer season, Fiona Wylde, finished just behind her father at third overall and first in the junior class.
“Fiona was definitely a highlight of this season,” said Scotia Bauer, race director. “Another highlight was having nine first-time racers join the series, which is great because we’ve struggled to keep numbers up in recent years.”
The long-running series lasts through the summer and typically includes five races; one of which is used as a throw-out score for competitors. This year’s competition saw a strong field of adult men racing for the top 10 overall spots. Behind teenager Fiona Wylde in third, Travis Perez and Jay Salazman wrapped up the top five.
“I’m looking forward to building on our momentum from the season and want to thank all of our fantastic sponsors,” said Bauer, who plans on directing the series again next summer.
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge