Wednesday, August 22, 2012
A team of teachers from Parkdale Elementary School has been selected for the Oregon Council of Teachers of Mathematics Math Excellence Area Award for Hood River, Wasco, and Sherman counties.
This group was nominated for its leadership and dedication in mathematics.
These teachers formed their own professional learning community outside of the regular school day to investigate math fluency and number sense with their students.
Jeanie Dexter-Krieger and Jana Shuler teach fifth grade. Janice Patton is a fourth-grade teacher. Shannon Monroe is a third-grade teacher, while Shelly Curtis is a special education teacher.
The team wrote and received a Hood River Education Foundation grant to fund the purchase of materials.
The team read articles, watched training videos and attended trainings and workshops.
With their learning and information, they put together a sequenced plan for teaching and monitoring fluency of math facts and skills.
They plan to share this work with the rest of Hood River County School District teachers.
“The individuals on the team are incredible educators, leaders, and life-long learners. They are very deserving of this award],” said Jane Osborne, Hood River County School District math coach.
More like this story
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
- Who says there’s no more summer fun?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge