Saturday, August 25, 2012
Cascade Locks It’s not quite Yankees vs. Red Sox or Blazers vs. Lakers but Toejammers vs. Kickballers has even more at stake.
The Cascade Locks Community Church Awana Youth Group has been hosting a series of weekly kickball games throughout the summer at Cascade Locks School. Participants were divided up into the two teams, Kickballers and Toejammers, with the losing team at the end of the series hosting a barbecue at the Marine Park for the winning team next week, according to Carrie Goben, one of the youth group leaders at the church.
Close to two dozen kids showed up for the final match in the rivalry series this week.
By the middle of Wednesday’s game it was looking like the Toejammers were going to be the ones grilling the hot dogs and burgers, but that didn’t mean they stopped having fun.
The games were open to kids in grades K-8. There was plenty of good-natured ribbing involved by both sides, even among the youth group leaders, and everyone learned they better get the ball back to the pitcher at the end of the play, because if you stood around talking for even a second or two, the player on the other team who just made it to first on a little roller was liable to take second base, third and then home.
While they were having fun, many of them were also helping to do good. Kids who showed up a half hour before the game to help weed around the school received a gift certificate for a free ice cream cone from the East Wind Drive-In.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for June 21
- Another Voice: New legislation is win-win for community college students
- Fight leads to reported stabbing in Cascade Locks
- Former Hood River resident dies in wreck on I-84
- Columbia sturgeon season returns
- High Prairie Firehouse Sale back this weekend
- Roots and Branches: High energy children and the belief to succeed
- Entertainment Update for June 21
- Loretta and Patsy: Together Again
- Sports briefs for June 21
Hood River Valley High School graduation 2017
Scenes from graduation of the class of 2017 at Hood River Valley High School Enlarge