Friday, December 7, 2012
El Tigra, the fifth-grade Westside Robotics team, won the ACE Award (Advancement to Championship Event) for outstanding achievement in all four categories of the competition last weekend at the Columbia Gorge First Lego League Tournament in The Dalles. This means they are also invited to participate at the state competition in Hillsboro.
Meanwhile, Robo Dragons, a May Street Elementary First Lego League (FLL) team took first place at The Dalles Middle School on Sunday Dec. 2., in one of three Columbia Gorge qualifying tournaments.
The team of fourth and fifth graders has been working since September on their robot design, programming and research project in preparation for this event. The Robo Dragons qualified for the FLL State Tournament to be held in Beaverton on Jan. 19 and 20.
Families and robot lovers of all ages are invited to watch the fun at the third qualifying tournament of the Gorge Lego League this weekend.
The free event will be held from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Dec. 8 at Wy’east Middle School (3000 Wy’east Road near Odell).
The tournament is a local qualifier for the international FLL robotics competition for kids ages 9 to 14. Winners will travel to the state tournaments in Hillsboro in January.
More like this story
- HRV grad and track athlete Parker Kennedy recovering from freak javelin accident at USATF meet in Beaverton
- BOTG local sticker effective Friday
- Police report burglaries
- Hood River Death Café meets July 9
- Windermere holds annual food drive
- Fresh Start begins class series for home cooks
- Beauchamps celebrate 58th anniversary
- ‘Operation Dry Water’ this weekend
- The Next Door marks 45 years
- Letter to the Editor for June 25
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge