Friday, December 7, 2012
El Tigra, the fifth-grade Westside Robotics team, won the ACE Award (Advancement to Championship Event) for outstanding achievement in all four categories of the competition last weekend at the Columbia Gorge First Lego League Tournament in The Dalles. This means they are also invited to participate at the state competition in Hillsboro.
Meanwhile, Robo Dragons, a May Street Elementary First Lego League (FLL) team took first place at The Dalles Middle School on Sunday Dec. 2., in one of three Columbia Gorge qualifying tournaments.
The team of fourth and fifth graders has been working since September on their robot design, programming and research project in preparation for this event. The Robo Dragons qualified for the FLL State Tournament to be held in Beaverton on Jan. 19 and 20.
Families and robot lovers of all ages are invited to watch the fun at the third qualifying tournament of the Gorge Lego League this weekend.
The free event will be held from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Dec. 8 at Wy’east Middle School (3000 Wy’east Road near Odell).
The tournament is a local qualifier for the international FLL robotics competition for kids ages 9 to 14. Winners will travel to the state tournaments in Hillsboro in January.
More like this story
- On Stage for Christmas
- Gorge Kids in Action — filling a wish list for others
- Looking for fun? Try mini-golf this weekend
- Warm gifts: Parkhurst says thank you
- Hospice Youth thanks veterans for their service
- Lions grocery contest winners announced
- Columbia Art Center ‘Nook’ features artist Steve Stegall
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 28
- Minoru Yasui: Governor adds to Hood River native’s Presidential Medal of Freedom honor
- Class of ’66 seeks classmates
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge