Friday, December 7, 2012
El Tigra, the fifth-grade Westside Robotics team, won the ACE Award (Advancement to Championship Event) for outstanding achievement in all four categories of the competition last weekend at the Columbia Gorge First Lego League Tournament in The Dalles. This means they are also invited to participate at the state competition in Hillsboro.
Meanwhile, Robo Dragons, a May Street Elementary First Lego League (FLL) team took first place at The Dalles Middle School on Sunday Dec. 2., in one of three Columbia Gorge qualifying tournaments.
The team of fourth and fifth graders has been working since September on their robot design, programming and research project in preparation for this event. The Robo Dragons qualified for the FLL State Tournament to be held in Beaverton on Jan. 19 and 20.
Families and robot lovers of all ages are invited to watch the fun at the third qualifying tournament of the Gorge Lego League this weekend.
The free event will be held from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Dec. 8 at Wy’east Middle School (3000 Wy’east Road near Odell).
The tournament is a local qualifier for the international FLL robotics competition for kids ages 9 to 14. Winners will travel to the state tournaments in Hillsboro in January.
More like this story
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 22
- Another Voice: Community of caring, and the public issue of homelessness
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’ opens next weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 22
- Bridging Marine Park
- Death café at the library Oct. 26
- Halloween’s a Coming: Your Guide to Fun Oct. 29-31
- What’s the BUZZ on pollinators?
- Q and A: HR City Council candidate question and answer
- Sports Briefs for Oct. 22
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge