Friday, December 7, 2012
The Hood River City Council meeting on the remanded LUBA order on the city’s approval of a 30,000-sqare-foot Walmart expansion will be held at 6 p.m. Monday, Dec. 10, in the council chambers at City Hall, 211 Second St.
The meeting will be an on the record hearing, meaning that additional public testimony on the matter will not be allowed; however the public may attend and observe.
The council reserves the right to asks questions of those who submitted information or comments during the public comment period.
The council will only be addressing the remanded portion of an appeal filed by opponents of the Walmart expansion.
Walmart remanded one portion of the appeal “for the city to address the discontinuance issue … and adopt findings, presumably based on HRMC 17.05, that determine in the first instance whether Walmart’s vested right was lost through discontinuance.”
The council will not be addressing any of the other issues raised in the appeal.
The council will have only six eligible members at Monday’s hearing.
Council member Kate McBride recused herself from the process. McBride also recused herself during the planning commission decision process in November 2011 when she was a member of that body.
McBride replaced former council member Ann Frodel in January 2012, Frodel was one of two council members to vote against the expansion in December 2011.
Mayor Arthur Babitz, Jeff Nicol, Ed Weathers, Brian McNamara and Carrie Nelson voted in favor of the expansion last December while Laurent Picard voted against.
More like this story
- Entertainment Update for Aug. 24
- Music Festival of the Gorge Sept. 17
- Cult-classic ‘Rocky Horror Show’ comes to the Gorge
- Audition for ‘Owen Meany’s Christmas Pageant’ Sept. 8, 10
- Marbach launches ‘Columbia – Source To Sea’ campaign
- As time — and transportation — move on, so does Hood River
- Yesteryears: Lost Lake, found, 56 years ago this summer — in 1936
- ‘Get Outside for Education’ Aug. 27
- Hood Crest goes from whim to solid rock ‘n wood winery
- YoHOHs spread summer cheer
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge