Tuesday, December 18, 2012
Spirited creativity may be found in both familiar and unfamiliar places within the walls of Hood River Middle School. In the spirit of holiday giving and celebration, on Thursday 7-8:30 p.m., two of the most engaging programs at HRMS will be offering “A Night to Remember,” an evening of music, delicious desserts and a chance to support kids and teachers with vision.
Music program director Rebecca Nederhiser will bring her talented choir and band students to perform holiday music for while guests peruse auction items and munch on home baked goodies, courtesy of teacher Michael Becker’s F.A.C.S. program.
F.A.C.S. is a unique program at HRMS designed to teach in-depth understanding of our food system and the environmental stewardship that sustains it. Incorporating hands-on science experiments, greenhouse work, vegetable gardening, farmers’ market sales and food preparation, Becker’s students experience an expanded view of how natural systems and class work intertwine, leading to enjoyable and edible results.
In Nederhiser’s classes, students learn the fundamentals of music while practicing the advanced social skills of working within ensembles.
For both teachers and their creatively inspiring programs, the fundraiser offers a chance to bring in additional dollars to augment the students’ learning environment.
For more information or to send in a donation to the fundraiser contact Nederhiser at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More like this story
- OSAA 5A SOFTBALL PLAYOFFS Late-game heroics by Lauren Decker, Hannah McNerney send HRV to the 5A quarterfinals
- Death Notices for May 27: Sharon Mills, Donna Schnell and Scott Zorza
- Service Announcements for May 27: Randy Van Woert and Thomas Ford
- Next Walking Tour June 5
- Lyle Pioneer Days return May 27
- CASA launches 2017 Playhouse Raffle
- YESTERYEARS: Ross, Daphne Hukari Animal Shelter opens in 2007
- ‘Guy, Guitar, Girl’: young actor seeks film support
- A ‘transforming gift’
- Author signing June 3 at HR Farmers’ Market
Hood River firefighters battle Heights blaze
Hood River firefighters tackled an early morning fire at an answering service in the Heights Wednesday morning. The 1 a.m fire was caused by an electrical panel and eventually gutted the office. Enlarge