Tuesday, December 18, 2012
Spirited creativity may be found in both familiar and unfamiliar places within the walls of Hood River Middle School. In the spirit of holiday giving and celebration, on Thursday 7-8:30 p.m., two of the most engaging programs at HRMS will be offering “A Night to Remember,” an evening of music, delicious desserts and a chance to support kids and teachers with vision.
Music program director Rebecca Nederhiser will bring her talented choir and band students to perform holiday music for while guests peruse auction items and munch on home baked goodies, courtesy of teacher Michael Becker’s F.A.C.S. program.
F.A.C.S. is a unique program at HRMS designed to teach in-depth understanding of our food system and the environmental stewardship that sustains it. Incorporating hands-on science experiments, greenhouse work, vegetable gardening, farmers’ market sales and food preparation, Becker’s students experience an expanded view of how natural systems and class work intertwine, leading to enjoyable and edible results.
In Nederhiser’s classes, students learn the fundamentals of music while practicing the advanced social skills of working within ensembles.
For both teachers and their creatively inspiring programs, the fundraiser offers a chance to bring in additional dollars to augment the students’ learning environment.
For more information or to send in a donation to the fundraiser contact Nederhiser at email@example.com.
More like this story
- Pick of the Week: Turkey Trot happens Thanksgiving morning
- YESTERYEARS: Hood River will soon have its own aviation school in 1927
- Christmas Project: Where and when to sign up, and how to help
- Lisa Muñoz: Talking steps toward broadening community
- Museum’s ‘Latino Experience’ on display through December
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 22
- Another Voice: Grad Student Tax hinders diversity and innovation of higher education
- Remains Wall
- Oregon Parks takes input on adding tribal governments to veterans grant programs
- Sheriff Log, Nov. 5 to 18
Advertisement: The Men of Black Friday
The secret agents of Big Winds may not exactly be Tommy Lee Jones oand Will Smith, but they still discovered there is plenty of strangeness to be found in Hood River...especially once winter sets in. Enlarge