Tuesday, December 18, 2012
Cathy Carter writes about a particularly special gift, and meeting, for one of the folks she works with at Heart of Hospice.
“In my role as executive director of the Heart of Hospice Foundation, I provide and set up all sorts of ‘extras’ for patients and families.
“Buck Hermann, of Hawks Ridge Assisted Living Center, was the mayor of La Grande at one time before retiring and coming to Hood River. He still receives the La Grande newspaper. He saw the book “The Hot Lake Story” about the Hot Lake Resort near La Grande, and really wanted it.
“I ordered the book and spoke to the author about signing the book for Buck. Author Dick Roth not only signed the book but drove to Hood River to present the book himself. He remembered Buck from La Grande and had served on city council with him.
“It was a wonderful meeting and Buck was very happy and felt very special.”
“The Hot Lake Story,” by Richard R. Roth, Heritage Quest Press, Orting, Wash., $39.95 plus $7.50 shipping, is available by emailing:
The book contains 470 pages with more than 215 photos and illustrations, numerous photos circa 1900-1903 by Thomas Moorhouse, and stories of the two railroads that served Hot Lake during its heyday in the late 19th century.
More like this story
- Service announcements for Oct. 3
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge