Tuesday, December 18, 2012
Cathy Carter writes about a particularly special gift, and meeting, for one of the folks she works with at Heart of Hospice.
“In my role as executive director of the Heart of Hospice Foundation, I provide and set up all sorts of ‘extras’ for patients and families.
“Buck Hermann, of Hawks Ridge Assisted Living Center, was the mayor of La Grande at one time before retiring and coming to Hood River. He still receives the La Grande newspaper. He saw the book “The Hot Lake Story” about the Hot Lake Resort near La Grande, and really wanted it.
“I ordered the book and spoke to the author about signing the book for Buck. Author Dick Roth not only signed the book but drove to Hood River to present the book himself. He remembered Buck from La Grande and had served on city council with him.
“It was a wonderful meeting and Buck was very happy and felt very special.”
“The Hot Lake Story,” by Richard R. Roth, Heritage Quest Press, Orting, Wash., $39.95 plus $7.50 shipping, is available by emailing:
The book contains 470 pages with more than 215 photos and illustrations, numerous photos circa 1900-1903 by Thomas Moorhouse, and stories of the two railroads that served Hot Lake during its heyday in the late 19th century.
More like this story
- Into the thick of 'thinning'
- Hood River School Board okays bond request
- What's going on for Valentine's and President's Day?
- Cascade Locks Port will rebuild historic engine building
- Gorge Foundation gains major donation
- Entertainment Update for Feb. 13
- Arts center celebrates 10 years with free Kick-Off Party
- Letters to the Editor for Feb. 13
- Editorial: Pool Queue
- City Council approves ‘symbolic’ step on gun control