Wednesday, December 26, 2012
“Bigs” and “Littles” celebrated together on Dec. 8, when the Moose Lodge in The Dalles hosted its annual Breakfast with Santa for Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Columbia Gorge.
More than 50 Bigs (mentors) and their Littles (youth) participated in the event along with Santa and his special guests, the Grinch and Shrek. The women of the Moose Lodge organized the event, providing breakfast for the participants and gifts for the kids from their wish lists.
Some matches were attending together for the first time, while others participated for the fourth, fifth or even sixth year, making the event a part of their annual holiday celebration.
After opening his gift, one Little exclaimed, “These are the nicest shoes I’ve ever owned!” and couldn’t stop thanking his Big Brother for taking him to the event. All of the kids were both excited and grateful for the generosity of the Moose Lodge.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Columbia Gorge serves Wasco, Hood River and Klickitat counties. The program is always looking for mentors to offer guidance and support to children on its wait lists.
If you have a couple of hours a week, you can change the life of a child for the better. Contact Kristin Reese at 541-436-0305 or email@example.com for more information or visit nextdoorinc.org. Big Brothers Big Sisters is a program of The Next Door.
More like this story
- On Stage for Christmas
- Gorge Kids in Action — filling a wish list for others
- Looking for fun? Try mini-golf this weekend
- Warm gifts: Parkhurst says thank you
- Hospice Youth thanks veterans for their service
- Lions grocery contest winners announced
- Columbia Art Center ‘Nook’ features artist Steve Stegall
- Letters to the Editor for Nov. 28
- Minoru Yasui: Governor adds to Hood River native’s Presidential Medal of Freedom honor
- Class of ’66 seeks classmates
A live hive
A tree containing a live colony of bees blew down in a local family's front yard. Find out what happened next by reading the story here: bit.ly/1MJKdu2. Enlarge