Friday, December 28, 2012
The 12 Plates fundraiser was held at Gallery 301 from Nov. 23 to Dec. 7 as a silent auction to raise money for art programs in kindergarten through 12th grade.
More than $1,000 was raised, which helps support the Columbia Gorge Arts in Education grants that can leverage more funding to keep arts in the schools.
Art plate fundraisers have been done in the past at Bite of the Gorge held at the Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum.
“Arts learning is essential for many students who struggle academically and it’s very valuable for every student,” said Shelley Toon, organizer of the 12 Plates fundraiser along with Scotia Bauer. Artist Sheila Ford Richmond provided the funds for the clay, glazing and firing of the plates.
McManus is a March 2012 graduate of Columbia High School in White Salmon and now lives in Hood River. She is interested in photography, design and writing. Her photo was taken by Meg Lubinski.
More like this story
- Hood River County Reads celebrates its 10th anniversary — 11 years in
- Little free library idea
- Art of Community adds Soderberg-Greene work
- Bike Buddies reports successful weekend event
- Lion King Jr. comes to Wy'east Middle School
- YESTERYEARS: New skate park in planning stages in 1996
- Aubree Olmstead heads Columbia Basin facility
- Heart of Hospice notes Volunteer Appreciation Week
- County sets temporary rules on marijuana grows
- Puff Factory to break ground in Odell
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge