Friday, December 28, 2012
The final worship service takes place Sunday at Asbury United Methodist Church, 616 State St.
Pastor Andy Wendle will preside in the 10 a.m. service, which is open to the community.
Asbury UMC and Our Redeemer Lutheran Church are now in formal partnership, and the congregation decided this year to close the Asbury building as a worship center.
Together they are now known as LAMP — Lutherans and Methodists in Partnership.
The Asbury-Our Redeemer combined congregation will meet starting in 2013 at the Our Redeemer worship center, on Tucker Road.
At the Dec. 8 sanctuary centennial celebration, Wendell said, “Let us take a moment of appreciation for what this place is, what it has been, and even yet, what it will be.
“This is a final remembrance of our past, and a celebration of the future,” Wendle said. “We are excited as we look forward to where God might lead us next, as Asbury, Our Redeemer, as LAMP, but more generally as the people in this community we all call home.”
Asbury member Roger Blashfield compiled a history of the congregation, noting that it started in the 1880s in a building on Methodist Road southwest of Hood River.
Blashfield, whose grandparents grew up in Hood River and whose father played the Asbury organ, said a subset of the church decided to build in downtown, and purchased the property in 1895 for $300. They built the church in 1896, and that building was later moved and rotated, and the existing sanctuary built in 1912.
More like this story
- Columbia Gorge Express bus starts Memorial Day weekend
- Missing woman reported, last seen in Stevenson
- Mad Hatter’s Tea Party fun
- Memorial Day Weekend events … and beyond
- DRAGON DASH
- Acute story
- Memorial Day service, May 29 at Idlewilde
- Sports briefs for May 27
- Columbia Gorge Genealogical Society meets June 10 at Discovery Center
- The Dalles museums offer free admission for military
Hood River firefighters battle Heights blaze
Hood River firefighters tackled an early morning fire at an answering service in the Heights Wednesday morning. The 1 a.m fire was caused by an electrical panel and eventually gutted the office. Enlarge