Friday, December 28, 2012
Freeze your Gizzard Blizzard Dec. 29: This fun run/walk starts at 10 a.m. at The Dalles Waterfront Park and features 3K, 5K and 10K distances. Day-of registration starts at 9 a.m. at the park and is $10 without a shirt and $23 with. Age divisions will be divided in 10-year increments and all proceeds go to Jumpstart Camps scholarship fund.
Last Run and Polar Plunge Dec. 31: Join the Columbia Gorge Running Club for this leisurely 5K starting at 9 a.m. at Skamania County Fairgrounds in Stevenson. The run is free to CGRC members and $2 for non-members. Following the run, join brave souls in a ceremonial Polar Plunge to finish off 2012 with a kick. For more information visit www.columbiagorgerunningclub.com.
More like this story
- Library Foundation issues a fundraising challenge now through June 30
- Public records, marriage permits, May 2016
- Look for a full First Friday on June 3
- Entertainment Update for June 1
- Letters to the Editor for May 28
- Mercado del Valle opens June 2 in new location
- Marble and Shepherd are Elks Students of the Month for May
- Riverside UCC votes for fossil fuel divestment
- Sheriff Log, May 15 to 22
- Community Baby Shower June 4
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge