Friday, December 28, 2012
Freeze your Gizzard Blizzard Dec. 29: This fun run/walk starts at 10 a.m. at The Dalles Waterfront Park and features 3K, 5K and 10K distances. Day-of registration starts at 9 a.m. at the park and is $10 without a shirt and $23 with. Age divisions will be divided in 10-year increments and all proceeds go to Jumpstart Camps scholarship fund.
Last Run and Polar Plunge Dec. 31: Join the Columbia Gorge Running Club for this leisurely 5K starting at 9 a.m. at Skamania County Fairgrounds in Stevenson. The run is free to CGRC members and $2 for non-members. Following the run, join brave souls in a ceremonial Polar Plunge to finish off 2012 with a kick. For more information visit www.columbiagorgerunningclub.com.
More like this story
- Sheriff Log, April 17 to 24
- Pet of the week: Dessa needs ‘room to use her hound nose’
- Letters to the editor for May 4
- ANOTHER VOICE: Passing countywide ordinance ‘is wrong’
- Yes to School Bond
- Going Solar: Amateur astronomer provides safe view of our nearest neighborhood star
- Yesteryears: Women challenged at the polls in 1916
- Sustainability Awards presented April 20
- Decker, Elzinga wed
- The Daily Bread: My Life in Dog Years
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge