Friday, December 28, 2012
Oregon State Police troopers are continuing the investigation into Sunday afternoon’s two-vehicle fatal traffic crash on Highway 35 about two miles north of Highway 26.
According to OSP, at approximately 2:30 p.m. a 2003 Subaru Forrester station wagon driven by Dayne M. Scanlon, 19, from West Linn, was northbound on Highway 35 near milepost 62 when Scanlon lost control and slid sideways on the snow- and ice-covered road into the southbound lane where it was struck in the passenger side by a 2012 Ford Edge driven by Duncan McPhail, 44, from southeast Portland.
The Subaru’s right rear passenger, Drake Aron Edwards, 20, from West Linn, was pronounced deceased as a result of the crash.
A doctor and members of the Mt. Hood Meadows ski patrol were at the scene providing emergency medical care to the victim before he was pronounced deceased.
Scanlon and right front passenger Warner Edwards, 20, the victim’s twin brother, were not injured. All were using safety restraints.
McPhail and a 40-year-old female passenger from north Portland were not injured. Both were using safety restraints.
The southbound lane was closed while OSP troopers, with the assistance of crash investigators from Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office and West Linn Police Department, investigated at the scene.
Fire personnel from Parkdale and Hoodland departments assisted at the scene. Senior Trooper Mike Holloran is the lead investigator.
ODOT was on scene assisting with traffic control and scene clearance.
More like this story
- Service Announcement for Oct. 26: Vernon Picking
- Death Notices for Oct. 26: Mary Stinson, Wilma Bolton, Kathleen Coffey, Thomas Pierce and Evelyn Helseth
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 22
- Another Voice: Community of caring, and the public issue of homelessness
- ‘Catch Me If You Can’ opens next weekend
- Entertainment Update for Oct. 22
- Bridging Marine Park
- Death café at the library Oct. 26
- Halloween’s a Coming: Your Guide to Fun Oct. 29-31
- What’s the BUZZ on pollinators?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge