Friday, February 3, 2012
A family of six lost everything in a fire Sunday at an Orchard Road home.
Brittany Roberts and her partner, Dominic Buttaccio, were in the process of moving into the home of Brittany's aunt, Tina McLaren, when the fire broke out.
Judy Osbourn, Roberts' grandmother, was home taking care of Roberts' newborn son, Evan, born Jan. 25, when she heard a noise from the bedroom.
She was able to get Evan safely out and within minutes, the manufactured home was engulfed, according to Rick Irwin, Roberts' father-in-law. (Fire department officials could not be reached by press time.)
"We were in the process of moving in, so there were some things we still have but my aunt lost everything from the past 40 years," Roberts said Tuesday.
According to Irwin, Roberts had just left with McLaren to get her other children (Makailah, 4, and Aiden, 3) when Osborne phoned her to tell her the house was burning.
The family stayed Sunday and Monday at the Best Western Hood River Inn, where Roberts works. Tuesday they were moving to a family member's home.
"They got out with nothing; just themselves and whatever they had in the vehicle," Irwin said. "They lost new stuff from the baby shower, all gone. Christmas stuff, all gone."
Donations were made at Best Western, and Roberts said she spent Tuesday morning assessing what they had been given and what survived the fire.
"I think my kids' needs are just about covered. Now my aunt is the one who needs help," she said.
To learn now to assist the family, go to the Facebook pages of Brittany Roberts or her friend, Kelsey Michaels or visit: http://bit.ly/z47305
More like this story
- Yesteryears: Horizon Christian ‘changing skyscape’ with new building in 2006
- Teen pleads not guilty to stabbing HR woman
- Hearings begin this week on Longview coal terminal
- White River campground closed
- EnviroGorge announces bird quiz
- Letters to the Editor for May 25
- Santa Cruz, Fetkenhour April ‘Students of the Month’
- Picard resigns from Hood River city council over STR issue
- Cascade Locks city council continuing with Nestlé plans despite passage of 14-55
- An early exit for HRV boys lax, but not a disappointment
Lawnmower torches Arbor Vitae on Portland Drive
The riding lawn mower driven by Norma Cannon overheated and made contact with dry arbor vitae owned by Lee and Norma Curtis, sending more than a dozen of the tightly-packed trees up in flames. The mower, visible at far right, was totaled. No one was injured; neighbors first kept the fire at bay with garden hoses and Westside and Hood River Fire Departments responded and doused the fire before it reached any structures. Westside Fire chief Jim Trammell, in blue shirt, directs firefighters. The video was taken by Capt. Dave Smith of Hood River Fire Department. Enlarge