Wednesday, February 15, 2012
Katie Eddy has never taken the easy path during her high school wrestling career.
She won't be taking an easy path in college either.
Eddy signed her letter of intent earlier this month to wrestle at Oklahoma City University, which recently won its fourth consecutive Women's College Wrestling Association championship.
OCU had six individual championship winners and 15 all-Americans, and that record of success was what Eddy said drew her to the school.
"It's for exactly those reasons," Eddy said of the team championship and six individual champions. "They have a great academic program, as well."
Eddy has hoped to wrestle collegiately since winning a girls state title as a sophomore, and when a school with a caliber of OCU and national women's wrestling coach of the year Archie Randall showed interest in her, Eddy quickly signed up.
Eddy has her sights set high. OCU is graduating its starting 123-pound wrestler this year, the weight Eddy signed her LOI for, and she is hoping to immediately compete for a spot on varsity.
To help further that goal, she will be attending an OCU team camp in May and following that up with a trip to a national tournament with the team.
But Eddy's aspirations don't stop with trying to get a starting varsity spot as a freshman with one of the best women's wrestling teams in the nation. She still has bigger goals beyond that.
"I'm hoping to compete in the Olympics," she said. "And this is the best way to get to do it."
More like this story
- A wish and a zip: Hawks Ridge residents enjoy adventure aloft
- Fascia findings: Acupuncturist Susan Froehlich attends international congress
- ‘Paws for a Cause’ event returns Oct. 15
- Public Records – Circuit Court, September 2015
- Public Records -- Building Permits, city
- Harmony of the Gorge invites women to sing for the holidays
- Providence seeks nominations for 2015 ‘Heart Of Gold’ award
- CHURCH NEWS: Revival in Parkdale, Odell, Hood River
- Learn about tours to support Providence scholarship fund
- Letters to the Editor for Oct. 3
Cascade Locks brush fire
Video of a brush fire near downtown Cascade Locks which erupted Aug. 27, 2015. Enlarge