Wednesday, January 18, 2012
Gospel honors MLK Riverside Gospel Choir sings the spiritual "Wade in the Water" during the Jan. 16 service commemorating Martin Luther King, at Bethel United Church of Christ in White Salmon. Tim Mayer accompanies the choir on piano. About 125 people filled the pews for the event. Gospel choir director Evelyn Charity told her story of growing up in Chicago in the 1950s and 1960s and how her life has been affected by Dr. King and his life's work, along with the positive impact of other people, black and white. Worship leaders on Jan. 16 were Rev. John Boonstra of Bethel, Rev. Vicky Stifter of Riverside, and Laura Nelson.
More like this story
- Yesteryears: Summer heatwave hits valley in 1936
- Roots and Branches: Grandkids, softball, memories
- ‘Before I Die’ encourages reflection
- Color Run for Haiti
- How does July 4, 2016, Stack Up?
- Keep fireworks legal, and safe
- Letters to the Editor for June 29
- ‘Weed of the Month for June’ is the invasive Scotch broom
- Pet of the Week: Jack is ‘full of energy and fun’
- Fire season is here: enjoy yourself, safely and legally
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge