Wednesday, January 18, 2012
Gospel honors MLK Riverside Gospel Choir sings the spiritual "Wade in the Water" during the Jan. 16 service commemorating Martin Luther King, at Bethel United Church of Christ in White Salmon. Tim Mayer accompanies the choir on piano. About 125 people filled the pews for the event. Gospel choir director Evelyn Charity told her story of growing up in Chicago in the 1950s and 1960s and how her life has been affected by Dr. King and his life's work, along with the positive impact of other people, black and white. Worship leaders on Jan. 16 were Rev. John Boonstra of Bethel, Rev. Vicky Stifter of Riverside, and Laura Nelson.
More like this story
- Cascade Locks brush fire contained
- Lorang Fine Art open house will be Oct. 4
- Body of missing paddle boarder found in Columbia River
- Lummi Totem visits Hood River
- Living with Smoke
- Toward a healthier HRV: Health Center serves students this fall
- CL Port hosts Aug. 29 Bridge of the Gods walk
- Lost hiker, 75, found safe at Laurance Lake
- Brian Stenberg returns to his roots as Horizon’s new A.D.
- In its fifth running, Paddle Challenge is bigger than ever
Helicopter searches for hiker
BLACKHAWK helicopter flies over Mt. Hood National Forest near Laurance Lake on Friday, Aug. 21. The military aircraft was called in to help police seek a missing hiker from The Dalles. Enlarge