Wednesday, January 18, 2012
Gospel honors MLK Riverside Gospel Choir sings the spiritual "Wade in the Water" during the Jan. 16 service commemorating Martin Luther King, at Bethel United Church of Christ in White Salmon. Tim Mayer accompanies the choir on piano. About 125 people filled the pews for the event. Gospel choir director Evelyn Charity told her story of growing up in Chicago in the 1950s and 1960s and how her life has been affected by Dr. King and his life's work, along with the positive impact of other people, black and white. Worship leaders on Jan. 16 were Rev. John Boonstra of Bethel, Rev. Vicky Stifter of Riverside, and Laura Nelson.
More like this story
- History Museum offers chance to ‘step back in time’
- Yesteryears: Hood River County Fair draws record crowds in 1986
- FFA, 4-H livestock auction July 29
- Burn ban? No problem, no smoke, if you have a ‘burn box’
- Friends of Mount Adams guide hikes on Sept. 10
- Gehrig’s Chevron hits 70 year mark
- Sheriff Log, July 17 to 23
- Police Log, June 27 to July 8
- Letters to the Editor for July 27
- Local Impact: United Way helps, 'one person at a time'
Oil train car being transported by truck
A damaged rail car from the June 3, 2016 oil train derailment and fire is transported from the crash site via truck on I84. Enlarge