Wednesday, January 18, 2012
Gospel honors MLK Riverside Gospel Choir sings the spiritual "Wade in the Water" during the Jan. 16 service commemorating Martin Luther King, at Bethel United Church of Christ in White Salmon. Tim Mayer accompanies the choir on piano. About 125 people filled the pews for the event. Gospel choir director Evelyn Charity told her story of growing up in Chicago in the 1950s and 1960s and how her life has been affected by Dr. King and his life's work, along with the positive impact of other people, black and white. Worship leaders on Jan. 16 were Rev. John Boonstra of Bethel, Rev. Vicky Stifter of Riverside, and Laura Nelson.
More like this story
- Author signing event at Waucoma Sept. 2
- Public records: Marriage permits, Aug. 1 to 22
- Pet of the Week: Bentley will make you wonder how you lived without him
- Genealogical Society meets Sept. 10
- ‘Our Whole Lives’ sexuality class for middle schoolers starts in fall
- A pastor called to a new house: Anna Carmichael of St. Mark's accepts position in California, passes Warming Shelter baton
- First Windermere golf tournament raises $6,000 for Stevenson Program
- Season Preview: Volleyball
- New teachers and licensed staff join Hood River County Schools
- Who says there’s no more summer fun?
Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest 2016
Kiteboarders in action during the pro competition Friday at the 16th Annual Bridge of the Gods Kite Fest in Stevenson. All photos by Ben Mitchell. Enlarge